A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clueless newbie in a findings quandary!  (Read 257 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beware wet paint
« on: February 25, 2014 02:31:29 AM »

Hello,

I'm very very new to beadwork and brand new to craftster (long time lurker and admirer though) I'm very interested in working with seed beads and different weaving techniques to create a jewellery range.

Whilst I seem to be grasping the actual weaving techniques and have the foam disks and beading bobbins I'm relatively clueless regarding attaching clasps/closures etc. So far I've been using 'dandyline' to string my beads and have been simply tying toggle clasps onto the ends of my beadwork.

As I'm hoping to eventually get to a standard where I can legitimately sell my work I would like to achieve a more professional and pretty finish. I've been reading about crimp beads and crimp covers but it's always in relation to beading wire? Are they applicable to thread?

I've also read about gluing thread into end caps but I'm worried that this wouldn't give a robust result :/

If anyone has any advice I'd be very grateful and thank you fir reading this missive! It turned out longer than anticipated x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014 09:38:50 AM »

Hi - when you are talking about foam discs and bobbins, do you mean you are beading with kumihimo?  There is lots of different styles of weaving with beads, so you may need to be more clear, because the ways of finishing could be very different.  There is nothing wrong with attaching caps and ends with glue, so long as you are using the right glue.  For extra strength, you can use both crimp beads and glue too - it depends on how you are ending the piece before adding the clasps.  Maybe if you show a couple of pics of what you are making and the materials - because the type of materials can make a big difference on the materials you may use to finish an item off too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cabernet Steak Sauce Recipe
Grilled Cabernet Tenderloin Recipe
Holiday Recipe Substitutions
Cooking Dinner with Leftovers with Chef Robin Miller
March of The Crab Cakes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...