A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Denim Cuff Watch (kind of a tutorial with it... 4 pics) ;)  (Read 2866 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GIJane
« on: July 12, 2005 08:36:52 AM »

OK, You know those afternoons when you KNOW you really should be studying... But it's the last thing you're feeling like doing...Huh  Yeah... That was me today... 2 finals to try and get better grades Thursday & Friday...

But, I think it wasn't a total waste of time in the end...!

My "inspiration" (if you wanna call it that) were some of FOSSIL's watches that I just LoVeD! But being an ocean apart (here in Portugal I don't see many stores with the brand) an some $$ away from my budget...  Grin Here is my idea:

-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -

You buy a 5$ watch (mine was 6) at some kind of a chinese store (here they sell mostly cheap and kinda cute stuff) and cut off the straps if you can't make them come off by taking those little metal tubes that hold them, and then put the tubes back.

Then, cut a strap as wide as you want it to be at the end (measure it on your wrist to be sure of the effect) and have it wrap your whole wrist around plus at least 1 or 2 cm (this is so the 2 endings of the denim cross and you can sew those little "clips" or whatever they are called),  ALWAYS LEAVING ANOTHER HALF CENTIMETER AT LEAST SO YOU CAN FOLD IN, and sew it in the end.

Cut another 2 straps, little less wider than the space that you have to pass them around the little tubes I mentioned before, and choose 2 buttons that match with these straps, to be sewn ed on them later. Oh, and 2 "clips" (I'm really sorry I don't know if that's the name, but it's 2 little round metal pieces that when you press they get attachedin the middle, by 1 bump one part fitting on the "hole" of the other... don't know if that was much of a help... Embarrassed )

You should then have something like this:

Fold in the extra denim that you left around the wrist band and sew them, and then put the band around your wrist, and on the place that 1 ending gets on top of the other mark the 2 spots for the "clips", and finally sew the clips.
 BE CAREFULL that you sew the ones that will go on top of the other ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE DENIM, and the clips that go under these ARE SEWN ON THE RIGHT SIDE!
Get 1 of the 2 little straps (you should also pass some fast sewing around them, so the denim strings don't start to "peel") and sew 1button on 1 ending, ON THE WRONG SIDE (so when U pass the strap through the watch tube, and fit it through the hole, the right side is the one on top Wink ) and then make a hole oh the other ending, so you can fit the button through it.

That is kinda what you should have by now. Smiley
Pass the little straps through the watch tubes like you can see on the picture, and "button them up".
Then with some pins, place the watch on the wrist band so you cam sew the "button ending" of the little straps on the right place you want (it's easier if you put the band on your wrist and pin the watch then, like I did), somewhat like this:

Once you have done that, "unbutton" the straps, and all that's missing is sewing the "button endings on the wrist band!  Wink

Here is how it should look in the end:

The one thing good about this is that you can make all kinds of wrist bands, get 1 or 2 more watches and mix them all, like some kind of 2 in 1... or how many you want them to be!  Tongue Cool

HoPe YoU  like it!! Wink

(in case anyone wants to see... I know it's nothing exactly like the FOSSIL watch but it was my "inpiraton" non the less...  Tongue : http://www.fossil.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=19034&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=19034
http://www.fossil.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=22886&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=926&iSubCat=1020&iProductID=22886 )
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011 05:39:41 AM by TheSapphireMoon - Reason: fix -med issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fizzysister
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005 08:44:23 AM »

That is seriously great, I love it! It's such a good idea and thanks for the great tutorial Cheesy
Btw, the 'clips' you were talking about are called press studs (or poppers in Britain)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Emxxx
GIJane
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005 08:49:11 AM »

fizzysister
Btw, the 'clips' you were talking about are called press studs (or poppers in Britain)

THANK YOU so much! I'm really glad that you liked it, and most of all that you UNDERSTOOD THE TUTORIAL!! Cheesy
(cause it took me like 1h to write and put the pictures (takind them... cropping them... uh...) Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005 10:05:18 AM »

I've been wanting to make one! Thanks for sharing. Now I have to find a thick piece of silver material!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costum e maven.
GIJane
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005 01:55:23 PM »

PinkMafia 
I've been wanting to make one! Thanks for sharing. Now I have to find a thick piece of silver material!

Glad I could help!  Wink

I had been waiting and searching to see if there was any tutorial for anything like this... And since I didn't find 1, I just decided to make the watch anyway and see what would come out!  Grin

And well... since I was on it, I thought "maybe a little attempt of tutorial may help some other crafters not to CRACK their heads on "HoW tO's"..."  Cheesy

XXXX* stay cool *XXXX
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marinechimp

team work means staying out of my way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005 01:59:28 PM »

i havent seen the original watch but this is awesome. it looks so professional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.tofupotpie.com the home for all of my kick butt jewelry
or for a more professional look: http://www.tofupotpie.etsy.com
mynta
Tutorial Contributor

True Mistress of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005 11:12:54 PM »

Your watch turned out SO cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..yes, it IS like that! U should see my Craftingroom. Chaos, just chaos and Im the only one who can master that room.
SpielMitMir
Scary Mary

Where is my mind?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005 06:09:28 AM »

thankyou so much for the idea!!! i have a watch face at home ine need of a nice band! what a great way to use scrap denim!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Our God is vengeful! O spiteful one, show me who to smite and they shall be smoten!!!"
GIJane
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005 02:26:56 PM »

Thank You All!!

i havent seen the original watch but this is awesome. it looks so professional.

You'll see it wont look that much, but the button part an large wrist band are there:   Wink
http://www.fossil.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=19034&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=19034

thankyou so much for the idea!!! i have a watch face at home ine need of a nice band! what a great way to use scrap denim!!!
That was exactly my idea!! It was from some left over since my mom cut some jeans that were too long...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Rock the Midi Skirt Trend
Hot Floral Dresses for Spring
Mastering the Art of Laid-Back Parisian Style
How to Look Chic But Feel Comfy
DIY Cute American Flag Shorts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...