A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New vs. Used: How long before top of the line becomes more affordable?  (Read 761 times)
Tags for this thread: sewing_machine , help  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LRShimer
Postcard From California

California Hiker, Plain Style, Arty-Romantic Sewer

View Profile WWW
« on: February 22, 2014 09:01:23 PM »

Sewing Advice Request.... So I went to the Sewing (and Quilt) Expo in San Mateo today to get some new scissors. Good vendor I've gone to in the past there (http://www.scissorsales.com). I found my scissors - a pair of Stag shears, a pair of Gingher shears, and OK some of those really darling tiny embroidery snips with the cool animal designs.... Then I went to the Brother dealer's booth recommended by a classmate. And I fell in love with a new machine. It's a Quattro 3 ( http://www.brother-usa.com/Homesewing/quattro3/) . I want a more up to date machine for both garment and machine embroidery* Of course, it's not actually in the budget now...... I just wanted to get an idea of what I'm hoping for. But it's like shopping for a car when you're not ready to buy one (I'm not actually into cars, but I get why people would be tempted). I felt absolutely drunk reveling in all of the things this machine could do embroidery 'wise. Several things I never imagined being able to do in addition to the basic stuff I can't do with my old bottom of the line Viking (which still uses cards and can't download designs). In addition to the embroidery coolness, the Quattro handled my heavy weight denim like a dream. I hardly even played with the garment construction features, except for using the 'hump jumper' and going over old Levi seams.

Here's my question.... at the lowest price offered (floor model) it would be $8,000 which is not in the budget. It's also about a third of the cost of the car we need to buy to replace one that's getting on in years.... Also for me sewing is a hobby. This is not a business expense.
.... How long do experienced machine buyers think I'm going to need to wait before people start trading this gorgeous, capable machine in for a newer model? And when that happens how much more affordable do you think it might get?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Laurel
 * I used to be into quilting but for me I had to chose between garment and quilting - garment won
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This historically inspired time traveling, California Romantic, is enchanted by sewing
http://MeEncantaCoser.blogspot.com/
Sewing Podcast iTunes Store - Search for "Enchanted By Sewing"
String_Of_Cranes
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014 10:16:42 AM »

I assume most of their new features are patented. Based on Babylock sergers, it'll take at least five years to knock $500 off the price. If you want these features on a vaguely affordable machine, you have to wait until the patent expires.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014 10:53:51 PM »

depends on your area.   Oooh, San Mateo; lots of people, lots of money in the Bay Area.  Check Craigslist and local dealers to see what people are trading in now, and you'll have an idea of how long before your dream machine is affordable.  The economy isn't exactly booming, so that's going to slow things down.  If you lived in a poorer or rural area (like me), you'd never even see the new one, much less a cheap used one!

Suggested mantra for now:
My current machine does all I need, and supports me in my craft. 
Repeat as needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Figs Delicious Wings
Crazy Canuck Maple Leaf Ribs
Breakfast Sausage
Atlas of American Artisan Cheese
Burger with Spicy Blue
Latest Blog Articles
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...