A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SHRIMP BREEDER a New take on the outdated " Betta vase "  (Read 951 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2014 10:22:46 AM »

Hi everyone.

Let start with a little history . I have a 30 gal planted tank with a huge ACF  a few tetras a few mystery snails a pleca and a colony of ghost shrimp . The Ghosties act as clean up crew and a live food source for Frank the African Clawed Frog . When the numbers get to low I buy some more but recently I decided why run to the pet store every month when I can breed these little ghosties myself !

steps and tools

1 gallon glass fish bowl , set up for 4 weeks to allow  nitrate cycle to form and micro life to establish ( copepods , worms , micro crustations etc ) join on thier own from seemingly no where .  Before you think of adding snails or shrimp

play sand and pea gravel for bottom

pants - Anacharis aquatic plant ( great for removing amonnia and adding oxygen )

air stone for water flow and more oxygen

plant liner tray ( for lid and upper plant support )

plant for top ( Im using anthurium )
 river rocks or marbles and moss - sphagnum or spanish

screw driver and exacto knife to cut a large  hole for roots and poke smalls holes for the air tube and extra vents

additional  step ! I dont want to have to remove the lid and plant every day to add food so I used an old " bong"  Embarrassed from My younger days  lol ! to insert thru a larger hole with the top sticking above the rocks and moss so I can drop food in easily and only remove the top once a week for water changes ( any large tube would work even a meds bottle with the  bottom cut out would be great )

Ghost shrimp and or snails look great in these and are quite interesting to watch

The concept of keeping a betta in a bowl like this was proven unhealthy for the fish . Using this idea for ghost shrimp however is a great way to house them and add a little decorative flair to any room . Ghost shrimp do not require as much room as a beta and do not have nearly the high bioload . The plants do a great job filtering things and keep the water quality nice with 25 % weekly changes only . I get nervous about air flow so I added the extra air stone ran by a standard air pump power head and a 60 watt grow light on the desk other than that its very Low tech !

Note aquatic plants must be used in addition to the upper lid plant in order to provide enough filtration air and vegetation

also pictured My repurposed  1.8 gallon ( in the process of growing out ) planted nano tank with only a few snails micro life plants and Marimo with mech filter
and My NO TECH amphiapod and snail jar aprox 2/3 gallon

thanks so much for looking . Ill update pics of My nano aquagarden once it fills in some more Smiley
 Video link shows everything much more clearly View My Video
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014 01:09:33 PM by violentjayne » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014 02:59:03 AM »

Splendid tank and a great new use for something that didn't quite work as you'd intended it to. I love that it's making you more self-sufficient too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
PaleAngelLex
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014 08:41:42 AM »

I am in live with this. I always loved the look of the beta fish tanks, but I knew it couldn't be good for the poor fishy. This is a great way to get the same look and feel with none of the guilt! Congrats on figuring all of that out. I hope your breeding program works well and saves you a bunch of time and money.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Blog at TehTable
Wist
RococoNoir
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014 05:05:05 AM »

I love micro enviroments and these are great-- I need to do this too so my Ryukins can have snacks! LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady4feet
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014 12:48:11 PM »

It looks great, I love little ecosystems like these. Congrats on being a bit more self-sustainable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tailgate Meal Recipes
Super Bowl Guacamole Recipe
Crispy Pork Belly with Sweet Corn Grits Recipe
How to Make Yummy Mummy
Super Bowl Chili Beans and Rice Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...