A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tunisian crochet - intarsia pattern  (Read 557 times)
Tags for this thread: tunisian_crochet , tunisian , intarsia  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shipshape
« on: February 16, 2014 03:15:07 AM »

I'm working on a series of intarsia cushions, using a simple Tunisian crochet stitch. Some of the patterns I'm working on are more complicated than others, but even in the simpler ones I'm finding that the yarn is tugging at the edges where I'm changing the colour over, and creates unattractive little holes and looks messier than I'd like. Any ideas? I can't work out if the yarn changeover needs to be looser or tighter, as when I try both ways, neither particularly solves the issue. I'm about to start a really complex pattern, so need to have my best hook forward!

Thank you... Huh

THIS ROCKS   Logged

WeeFreeRhie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014 12:03:20 PM »

I don't know anything about crochet, so someone more experienced will hopefully answer you questions. I just want to offer encouragement and praise. Those look beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yippie-ki-yay FELLOW CRAFTERS! Cheesy
queenofcrows
Unrepentant Alistair/Jowan Whore

Ambiguous rubbish!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014 10:57:11 PM »

Hey there! :3

It sounds like you may not be locking your previous color down, at color changes. You shouldn't just be dropping the old yarn and letting it dangle. Instead, cross the old color over the top of the new color before letting it go.

Then, when you work your first stitch of the new color, the old one will be anchored in place, which prevents it from warping and making holes.

And of course, tension always counts when it comes to puckering and distortion. But from here it looks like a locking problem. GegeCrochet on YouTube has an excellent tutorial about Tunisian color changes, that you can find if you search. She shows some examples of what happens when you don't anchor your colors, as well as how to anchor them to prevent those problems. (YouTube is being a butt for me right now so I can't get the links, but you should be able to find the tutorial if you search for something like "crochet mario blanket.")

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014 11:00:56 PM by queenofcrows » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I prefer male Grey Wardens.

"I am not playing. It's a carefully conceived tactical maneuver." ~Knight-Commander Greagoir

My deviantART (fiber + digital): http://queenofthecrows.deviantart.com
Shipshape
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014 02:33:02 AM »

Hey there! :3

It sounds like you may not be locking your previous color down, at color changes. You shouldn't just be dropping the old yarn and letting it dangle. Instead, cross the old color over the top of the new color before letting it go.

Then, when you work your first stitch of the new color, the old one will be anchored in place, which prevents it from warping and making holes.

And of course, tension always counts when it comes to puckering and distortion. But from here it looks like a locking problem. GegeCrochet on YouTube has an excellent tutorial about Tunisian color changes, that you can find if you search. She shows some examples of what happens when you don't anchor your colors, as well as how to anchor them to prevent those problems. (YouTube is being a butt for me right now so I can't get the links, but you should be able to find the tutorial if you search for something like "crochet mario blanket.")

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much - I've had a look, and I think these are the videos you mean?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbupvlYzq_U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muoovamC5Es
I'll watch them in full later on with the work in front of me and see if this solves the issue. I think your diagnosis sounds completely spot on though, as I've definitely not been anchoring the colour change in the way you suggest here. I can't wait to try this out to see if it solves it! I'm enormously grateful, and excited!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shipshape
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014 02:34:32 AM »

I don't know anything about crochet, so someone more experienced will hopefully answer you questions. I just want to offer encouragement and praise. Those look beautiful!

Thank you! That's enormously kind of you to say - and I'm grateful for the encouragement! xx
 Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenofcrows

Ambiguous rubbish!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014 03:01:02 AM »

Thank you so much - I've had a look, and I think these are the videos you mean?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbupvlYzq_U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muoovamC5Es
I'll watch them in full later on with the work in front of me and see if this solves the issue. I think your diagnosis sounds completely spot on though, as I've definitely not been anchoring the colour change in the way you suggest here. I can't wait to try this out to see if it solves it! I'm enormously grateful, and excited!  Cheesy

No problem! Smiley

Yes, those are the ones. She doesn't really start the demo until late in the first one, but it's worth watching from the start if you're having problems. Your pillows look awesome (I LOVE the Apple one, I can't have nice pillows because I have cats with claws), and it really does look like the problems are only around the edges of the pattern, where the colors change.

I hope that it all works out for you! Anchoring the yarn is really just a matter of dropping it on the other side of your new color from the one you're approaching from. It also puts you in a good position to carry the color if you've only got a couple stitches to go before a transition back to your original color (in which case you just repeat the locking process).

Good luck, and show us how it turns out! Everything else is looking great. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am not playing. It's a carefully conceived tactical maneuver." ~Knight-Commander Greagoir

Shipshape
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014 11:55:43 AM »

No problem! Smiley

Yes, those are the ones. She doesn't really start the demo until late in the first one, but it's worth watching from the start if you're having problems. Your pillows look awesome (I LOVE the Apple one, I can't have nice pillows because I have cats with claws), and it really does look like the problems are only around the edges of the pattern, where the colors change.

I hope that it all works out for you! Anchoring the yarn is really just a matter of dropping it on the other side of your new color from the one you're approaching from. It also puts you in a good position to carry the color if you've only got a couple stitches to go before a transition back to your original color (in which case you just repeat the locking process).

Ok, it's an actual MIRACLE! I just knew I was doing something not quite right at that colour change moment, but couldn't for the life of me figure out what that was. I'm now just cross I didn't ask sooner on in the cushion series, to sort out the issues before I got so farhey ho. The rest will be spot on (hopefully)!
Thanks again for the steer - am delighted. Will definitely post up progress pics. The ears on the horse's head I'm nearly finished will be perfect!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenofcrows

Ambiguous rubbish!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014 03:28:22 PM »

No problem! Smiley

Ok, it's an actual MIRACLE! I just knew I was doing something not quite right at that colour change moment, but couldn't for the life of me figure out what that was. I'm now just cross I didn't ask sooner on in the cushion series, to sort out the issues before I got so farhey ho. The rest will be spot on (hopefully)!
Thanks again for the steer - am delighted. Will definitely post up progress pics. The ears on the horse's head I'm nearly finished will be perfect!  Cheesy

Yay, I'm so glad that everything worked out! Sometimes it's really just a simple thing that trips you up, and a lot of tutorials do tell you to just drop the yarn rather than lock it. They must have magic crocheting powers or something, because I have no clue how they manage to prevent those holes.

Let me know if you have any other questions at any point along the way, and I look forward to seeing the progress shots! I love Tunisian crochet, it has such a beautiful stitch and texture to it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Cool Cuffed Denim Shorts in Under 4 Minutes
How to Mix & Match Your Wardrobe
DIY Fashion Inspired by the Kitchen
Is a Bra the Secret to Looking Slimmer?
4 Fashion Looks For Only $80
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...