A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,513
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with a hole in a dress.  (Read 602 times)
Tags for this thread: help , dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nyrissa
« on: February 15, 2014 08:35:36 PM »

So, today I bought a dress I really like for $1. Problem; it has a hole in it. Pretty sure that's why it was $1 at a retail store. lol

Anyway, originally when I bought it I was just going to do jagged tears and make that that new hem. But then I tried it on after I got home and realized the hole was a lot further up than I thought it was, and I don't really need to be flashing people my undies.

My sister said to cut it off and make the top part a tank top and use the rest for fabric, but I really liked it because of the long length and the Hi-Low cut.

Here's the front:

Here's the back:

I put a piece of paper inside of it to show the hole better.

It has most of the torn fabric still, it's just all limp and hanging off in the picture.

I usually sew for my BJDs and not human clothes, so what I could do on a BJD dress wont necessarily work here. So I don't really know what to do with it at this point. D:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014 12:32:44 PM by meleriffic - Reason: Revealed images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nofuelleft
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014 12:39:22 AM »

That is a big hole ... And not a nice clean hole either ...

The repair part would be ; sew/ glue something on the inside of the dress, and than sew the "hole fabric " over that . But i think its gonna show .

And it looks like it might be a weird place to put some kind of patch/ frills or lace ....

Could cut the dress in 2 and remove a band of fabric with the hole and put in another fabric as a contrast .

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pinkweeds
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014 10:09:17 AM »

You're going to need to get a matching fabric to stabilize the whole as much as possible. Then patch the whole to the best of your ability- there are lots of tutorials on how to do this on youtube. Next, I'd attempt to find a funky patch to cover it with. Otherwise, you'll have to go with your sister's idea. You could also possibly turn it into a romper somehow? That might be cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check my blog for tutorials and more things I make!

http://la-bouilloire-noire.blogspot.com/
steiconi
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014 07:41:46 PM »

another option would be to add a seam that goes vertically or horizontally through the hole.

vertically would make the dress narrower by the width of the hole plus seam allowance--and would be in an odd place
horizontally would make the dress shorter by the length of the hole plus seam allowance.  You could adjust the seam up a bit if that would put it in a more natural place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014 04:47:03 PM »

Sew a bustle over it! Ruffles and lace and trimmings can become a frothy decorative element on your behind :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 9/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 1/12
How to Improve Your Crochet Stitching Part 1/2
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 10/12
How to Improve Your Crochet Stitching Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...