A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to decide on design details?  (Read 224 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sapphire_chan
« on: February 13, 2014 07:34:17 AM »

Most of my sewing life, I've been limited by needing a particular look, or not having time, or other factors. But now I'm making a top and I'm not limited by anything and I have no idea what to do.

It's going to be a princess-seamed top with a peplum (because I still loves 'em), in a shiny/sparkly yellow fabric that matches a plain circle skirt I made previously.

I can't even decide how to do the peplum. Obviously a short circle skirt would be easiest and would make the drape of the peplum match the skirt, but I could also add gores, extend the bodice pieces out into a skirt, do a long ruffle. Then there's the choice to interface, and how.

I've been making sketch after sketch and all I've really come to realize is that I suck at drawing.

I know I don't want it too complicated, but at the same time I want to do ALL the design elements!!

Then there's finishing, line the whole thing? flat fell the seams? facings? interfacings?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014 11:16:47 AM »

I would suggest that you start with your favorite ideas and make them up in an inexpensive fabric, then see where you want to go from there.

seaming can depend on the type of fabric you're using.  I'd go with plain seams and no lining for most fabrics, but if the fabric is scratchy or frays easily, lining and/or french seams might be a good idea.

last time I did a princess seamed peplum top, I extended the bodice pieces into the peplum, and added gores to create a box pleat at each seam.  I like it, and would do it again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Christy Haubegger: Founder, Latina Magazine
AOL CoolAge Interviews Gauri Jayaram
The Great and Calamitous Tale of Johan Thoms
Project Cain Book Trailer
Geoffrey Girard Explains Cain’s Blood
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...