A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,730
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what is the best book to learn amigurumi?  (Read 528 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OCastitatisLilium
« on: February 12, 2014 12:56:19 PM »

Hello! ^_^

I'm new to amigurumi but not crocheting, and I was wondering what was the best book to learn from for amigurumi for beginners?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ami_Mommy
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014 06:56:20 PM »

Hi!

Since you are familiar with crochet I think the best book for you would be more based on interest. Have you looked at the books called Zoomigurumi by amigurumipatterns website? I have not bought them but the designs are really great and I do own patterns by more than one of the featured designers. They are well written and so I imagine the book is as well.

I've been making amigurumi for years and I started with Creepy Cute Crochet and Elisabeth Doherty's book. While I love the designs I do not recommend those to begin. I went with Creepy Cute because of the size and simplicity but the way the patterns are written can be pretty confusing.

Happy crafting! Amigurumi is a lot of fun Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy : http://www.otakucrochet.etsy.com/
Blog: Otakucrochet.info
queenofcrows
Unrepentant Alistair/Jowan Whore

Ambiguous rubbish!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014 11:49:08 PM »

When I was first getting started with amigurumi, I relied mostly on the free patterns available in the Ravelry database. I still use them a lot, although I also buy individual patterns and on rare occasions, a whole book if it's something I'm really interested in. (Like that book of Japanese cat patterns, lol.)

As a general rule of thumb, if you're new to amigurumi it's safest to stick with projects that have either one or only a couple of dimensional pieces (as opposed to flat bits like wings), that are composed of simple shapes that are relatively easy to join. You probably wouldn't want to start with full-on clothed humanoids, for instance.

I crocheted a LOT of cactuses and pieces of fruit in my early days. So. Many. Succulents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I prefer male Grey Wardens.

"I am not playing. It's a carefully conceived tactical maneuver." ~Knight-Commander Greagoir

My deviantART (fiber + digital): http://queenofthecrows.deviantart.com
amigurl55

I already did!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014 02:48:41 PM »

Lion Brand yarn has some really easy (and free) amigurumi patterns.  I think you have to be a member to view the free patterns, but you can opt out of emails from them.  I'd recommend the little pig pattern for a good learning amigurumi: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70577AD.html?noImages=  Hopefully you'll be able to see that link.

You crochet most amigurumi in the round.  Usually it's done in a spiral instead of slip stitching into the first stitch and chaining one.  So you definitely need a stitch marker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I told you: I only wrote that poem to test my printer!

My etsy shop: http://dollycouture55.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Painted Bridge Book Trailer
The Changeling Book Trailer
Russell Kane Introduces His Literary Novel, The Humorist
Dorothy Wickenden on Nothing Daunted
John Irving on Theatricality in Fiction
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...