A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutu Tutorial for every day costuming (picture heavy)  (Read 1141 times)
Tags for this thread: tutu , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AMYoung3
« on: February 09, 2014 09:13:18 PM »

I am making this tutorial because of the responses and questions I received about the baby sets I've made. To start this off let me say there are a few different methods when making tutus and many variations. This tutorial is a NO SEW/TIE method using elastic (instead of ribbon).

There are a few things you will want to figure out before cutting:
-Hip measurement (or where you want tutu to lay)
-the desired length of the tutu (keep in mind that it will poof up)
-desired puffy-ness
-elastic or ribbon for waist band
-the material (standard tulle is least expensive but very static-y, there's mesh which lays flatter, organza is sleek but requires hemming or pinking shears, there is netted tulle which adds greater poof but has a different appearance) for the sake of beginners I have just used tulle and organza

Materials needed:

-measuring tape
-6-8 yards of Tulle (or chosen fabric)
   ~the more yardage, the greater the poof
-3/4" elastic (or 1-2" ribbon color of choice)
-1/4" ribbon
-scissors and/or pinking shears aka. zig zag scissors
-a needle and thread (color match to elastic)
-straight edge
-cutting board (recommended)

On to the tuturial!

Step 1: Remove all animals from work area! No matter how cute they are

Step 2: Lay out cutting board and lay tulle still folded lengthwise (like it comes off the bolt). Cut into 1 yard (36") sections, use straight edge to make even straight cuts. You will end up with 6-8 sections depending on amount of tulle started with.
-Note: I started with 4 yards of red tulle, 2 yards of white tulle, and 2 yards of sequined black organza. The end result was 4 sections of red, 2 white sections, and 2 black sections.
-Note 2: to avoid having to hem organza, cut with pinking shears

Step 3: take one section at a time. Fold down in half lengthwise, then down once more in half so it will be a quarter of the original height.

Step 4: You will be cutting each folded section into 6 inch strips. Use straight edge for both making a straight line and holding the fabric from shifting noticeably while cutting. The result will be 6 strips per section. Repeat this with all sections, you should end up with 48 strips.

Step 5: To cut strips to desired length you must know the width on the bolt (the start of mine was 52") so folded in half (how we first cut) it was at 26". if you cut along the original fold your skirt will end up about 12" when tied. to achieve a shorter skirt (around 6") you will cut the entire length of 52" into quarters.

Step 6: once again remove the animals from the work area,be cautious as they bring back up...

Step 7:Take your hip measurement and subtract 2". Then cut your 3/4" elastic to that measurement.
-Note: the best elastic for this project is a "no roll" elastic and has little ribs through out it.

Step 8: Overlap the ends of the elastic 1 inch on each end (double check that the elastic isn't rolled over in the middle). Use your needle and thread (obviously) to stitch together. I found using a zig zag stitch is most effective when sewn vertically.
-Note: you can use sewing machine if wanted I prefer the control of hand sewing though Smiley

Step 9:OPTIONAL only do if you want to have a removable waist ribbon!
-use 1/4" ribbon to create little belt loops around the elastic, be careful not to sew through both sides of elastic closing the ribbon loop. I made 8 loops but it is totally up to you the crafter to decide.

Step 10: I find the first few strips are easiest to put on the elastic if I put the band around both legs to hold it tight. You should tie it how it appears in the pictures below.

Continuing step 10: You can organize them or randomize them as you please, but once the first few pieces are on it was easier to move the tutu to a dress form (if possible) to lay them out and visualize the overall fullness of the skirt. Just keep adding on until you feel the skirt is full enough. If you added the ribbon belt loops you can put your 1-2" ribbon through for added affect. CUE THE PICTURES....

NOW GO PLAY IN YOUR FLUFFY TUTU!!! thank you for viewing this super long tutorial
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Eliminate the impossible, Watson, and whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014 01:12:08 AM »

Thank you so much for your tutorial, the tutu looks great and now it's so much more achievable  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014 05:03:50 PM »

Great tutorial! I love how you added the ribbon belt loops!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Quantumphysica
Dark Foe Of The World (Part-Time)

Sex, Crafts and Silmarils

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014 09:29:19 AM »

This is lovely! Such clear explanation Now I know how to tackle this! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Perfect 5 Minute Brows
How to Fake a Full Eyebrow
Tricks That Prevent Your Hair Color from Fading
Brow Makeover With Kelley Baker: Growing Out Your Brows
Beauty Expert Shares Surprising Summer Factors That Can Cause Wrinkles
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...