A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Comic book bracelet !  (Read 378 times)
Tags for this thread: comic , bracelet , mod_podge , domino  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lizziegirl3
« on: February 08, 2014 05:53:20 AM »

My sister's roommate asked me to make him a comic book bracelet of his favorite comic 'Dead Pool' (which was a tiny bit gross because blood skeeves me out) and I fully embraced the challenge.  I had some small pre-drilled dominoes I got on clearance!(yay!) At Hobby Lobby. He gave me some of his comic books to cut up and I had a hole punch that cut rectangles just a bit smaller than the Dominoes so I tried to find images that werent too gross and looked cool on their own. Then I used Mod Podge Dimensional Magic (my lover) to give them a nice coating and dimension !   After that I tried a bunch of different ways to put them together but everything looked pretty feminine so I settled on hemp crossed through nuts?  I can never remember what they are called... but I think its nuts.  And i ended with jump rings and a big claw clasp that wasnt on yet in the picture. 

Plus side: he loved it and has had a bunch of people ask where he got it. 

Down side: he does a lot of dishes at work and he doesnt take it off so it gets water logged.  Ive had to redo it a few times as the hemp just turns to mush after a while.

Plus side again:  the dimensional magic holds up fairly well to water. It got a bit dull and kind of misshapen but I only reapplied it once in the past six months and it looks like it has a lot of character.

Whew! Hope you like it !

THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014 06:56:38 AM »

OK...for the skeeves...only if it is pouring out of someone.  Grin A picture does not kill the soul.
For the nuts. I think you are talking eye screws. Little roundy things like a cup hook, only closed?

Hemp is a material that deteriorates. I use it in my gardens often, as it can just mulch in. When season is over.
Another option for the next preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'restringing...sinew.') Also called cat gut. Waxed and sturdy. It is generally goat and not actually cat. Or sometimes cow. But it is made from the intestines of various farm animals. It will not break down in water. And is easy to work with. I use it on my dream catchers. Easy to thread, a bit sticky, but that goes away after you have pulled it and worked with it.

Whoops...they also make it from deer, and I am incorrect. It is also from the leg tendons and not the guts. Here.
preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.paleotechnics.com')/Articles/PDFs/usesofdeer.PDF‎ A google will get you more answers.

But the artificial kinds are way harder to work with. You are best off with the real animal parts. Hope I have helped to find your answers.

I really like your bracelet...and obviously your buddy does, too.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Braid Like Drew Barrymore
How to Do a Fishtail French Braid
How to Do a Braid Like Rachel McAdams
What Are Some Good Braid Styles For a Wedding?
How to Do a Braid Like Sienna Miller
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...