A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,555
Currently Running With Scissors:
764 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Log Cabin Quilt. First adult-sized quilt. Made in 3 weeks  (Read 368 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

whoami7891
« on: February 07, 2014 06:07:58 PM »

On my birthday, I challenged myself to do 26 things while I was 26.  Making a quilt was one of those.  I was ready to tackle this, and a good friend was getting married in a month, so I checked with her maid-of-honor about colors and knew that once I said I was making a quilt, I was committed.  So, I took on the crazy idea of making a quilt on my little brother machine.  I made a quilt once before on it for a charity gift, a preemie quilt, but nothing of this size.  I'm really proud of how it turned out.  The goal was for them to have something to sit under while watching a movie or something on the couch. It's about 75" x 54".

Making sure my cuts were right.

Strips ready to be machine-pieced.

How I pieced the squares. 48 total squares.

4 squares make this.

You know that moment when things line up perfectly?

Finished top.

I left the top on the window and woke up to this the next morning.  Stained-glass-like.  I like this concept for future window coverings.

Finished quilt. Quilting with stitch-in-the-ditch. Navy binding.

Hand-embroidered tag with my hand-writing. You know, for posterity's sake.

I'm glad I made this.  It was great giving it, seeing the smile on their faces when they unwrapped it.  The sore shoulders and back were more than worth that.  C&C welcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014 06:27:59 PM »

I hate it...because it is not on my bed  Grin Looks wonderful, and only 3 weeks??? Neat collection of colors.
This style of pattern can easily be paper pieced, which is faster than cutting all the pieces individual. You just place together and go, trim, repeat...for all the way arounds. Then stitch your panels together from there. But you can also use a quilt as you go method. Give a YouTube search a try. I am sure there are tutes on there for it.

Quilt as you go means that you quilt the individual panels first, square by square, then seam them. Not as bulky as sewing the whole thing. Which binds up in the machine.

Brother makes a good machine product. If I remember correct they were just a lower end offset from Singer, back in the day. But who knows who owns that now  Wink My oldest machines are my workhorses. They built them tough.

But a wonderful job. I am glad your friends liked it, and it does look fun in the window.

~T

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014 06:56:40 PM »

This is beautiful. I love the little time-lapse gif. And the stained glass window thing is great, too. You really shared this project with us and I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014 05:02:09 AM »

You did a really beautiful job, I know they were thrilled!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
whoami7891
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014 07:31:11 AM »

This style of pattern can easily be paper pieced, which is faster than cutting all the pieces individual. You just place together and go, trim, repeat...for all the way arounds. Then stitch your panels together from there.

Now that I think about it, that would have solved a lot of the crazy lack of seam allowances in certain places. Well, you live and learn, right?  This was also my "make mistakes and learn from" quilt, so it's great getting feedback on how to make my future quilting adventures better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ask Marianna: Beach Waves, Dry Skin and Summer Foundation
3 Highlighters That Instantly Perfect Any Skin Type
Regret Your Tattoo?
Sneak Peek: Birchbox April 2013
Beauty Tips: The Benefits Of Avocados
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...