A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,067
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doing my first in person sale  (Read 564 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kizzie421
« on: February 07, 2014 07:17:11 AM »

A group of my friends are in a metal band, and and invited me to sell my resin pieces at their table at an upcoming festival. So this will be the first time I'll be selling in person. I know this will be a little different because its a music festival and not a full blown craft fair. My dad and I will be working on a table top rotating display for my since I don't know exactly how much table space I will have.

I have business cards, and I'm thinking about creating a form for custom orders or for bands that want to order promo pieces. I have created some items for my friends band as a thank you gift for letting me sell at their table and for supporting me!

Should I also create like a tri fold brochure? My husband will be sitting with me so I will have him handle the money so I can concentrate on sales and answering questions.

Any and all advice is welcome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014 04:19:18 PM »

I would just make a simple flier, maybe a half sheet with one side pics/examples and one side a price list. Don't wait for other bands to ask for one, go round to the other tables and make purposeful contacts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kizzie421
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014 06:43:51 AM »

Thanks!!! I'll work something up!

I so use to being to just direct people to one of my shops or facebook page. My mom suggested making up a photo album of my work. kinda like when you go into a tattoo shop or a hair salon a portfolio of sorts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014 06:25:56 AM »

I think a box of samples would serve you better in a face-to-face and folks could actually get a notion of the size, weight, etc. That, along with the flier/order form should be enough to get folks on board.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014 06:26:59 AM by CraftyChef » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dannijm

alphaetoys.squarespace.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014 11:12:54 AM »

Don't forget an email sign up sheet that way you can send out emails whenever you have a promotion running.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kizzie421
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014 07:09:32 AM »

I think a box of samples would serve you better in a face-to-face and folks could actually get a notion of the size, weight, etc. That, along with the flier/order form should be enough to get folks on board.

Thanks! I will put together a sample box and and flier/order form.

I'm getting nervous there are going to be well over 300 people there and I've never sold face to face before other than my friends and family and well they don't count. I'm worried about my pricing, i'm worried that people won't like my stuff, and then on the other hand i'm worried I'm not bringing enough!!! Does it get easier?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftdabbler UK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014 08:38:30 AM »

"Does it get easier?"

Yes, it does.
Like so many things in life, practice makes it easier. You will learn the way to answer to answer those difficult questions in a way people can understand and appreciate.
You will learn what people like about your products, why they choose them (or why they don't, which is sometimes more useful).
Your confidence in yourself and your work will grow and all that will make selling in person a pleasure (well, mostly) and always an education.
The learning curve is steep and daunting at the beginning but gets easier over time. You will never have all the answers, people will continue to surprise (or even shock) you with their odd questions. That is all part of the joy of dealing with real, live, funny, silly, imperfect, infuriating, endearing humans.
Selling from a website is great. Everyone should do it. But selling face to face enriches your life in ways you can't even imagine.
Enjoy it when you get the chance!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kizzie421
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014 06:45:03 AM »

"Does it get easier?"

Yes, it does.
Like so many things in life, practice makes it easier. You will learn the way to answer to answer those difficult questions in a way people can understand and appreciate.
You will learn what people like about your products, why they choose them (or why they don't, which is sometimes more useful).
Your confidence in yourself and your work will grow and all that will make selling in person a pleasure (well, mostly) and always an education.
The learning curve is steep and daunting at the beginning but gets easier over time. You will never have all the answers, people will continue to surprise (or even shock) you with their odd questions. That is all part of the joy of dealing with real, live, funny, silly, imperfect, infuriating, endearing humans.
Selling from a website is great. Everyone should do it. But selling face to face enriches your life in ways you can't even imagine.
Enjoy it when you get the chance!   Wink

thank you! I feel a little better. I'm still a nervous wreck! I keep going back and forth on my display, since I don't know how much room I have it is hard to come up with something. I'm a little short on extra money because I have missed a lot of work because of the weather. My head is spinning! My boss's daughter and I were talking the other day and she said "Wouldn't it be great if you sell all your stock!?" I love the optimism of a 19yr old!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Date Night Lookbook
Rebecca Looks at Lingerie Trends for All Shapes and Sizes
What to Wear to Work in This Freezing Weather
How to Get a 90s Look
How to Texture Clash Your Outfit
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...