A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,164
Currently Running With Scissors:
381 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A repurposed light box for small items.  (Read 326 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sydniburch

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-R9I_AEU8aAo/T6t

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2014 09:34:29 PM »

With 2 cheap lamps, a clear storage bin, some wrapping paper and tape you can take some well lit photos.

This is the setup. This is it. I have my older phone in my hand to take picture. This is the perfect setup for me, I am space limited in a Southern California condo. I keep the yard-sale/thrift-store finds in the bin until I am ready to photograph them. I use a poster board instead of the wrapping paper but I wanted the comic look for these pictures. I would never sell something with this background, (it's too distracting). If you want to use a green poster board so you can green screen something in photoshop that is a great idea. None of these were altered, no lighting adjustments from my phone to here.

This is side lighting using the clear plastic as a diffuser, zero light from the front. The background is clearly lit and the shape of the Transformer is clear. He pops, but his details are not that defined.

This guy has side lighting and a spotlight that has been defused with aluminum foil on cardboard from the front. The Background is more washed out, and the figure still pops. His facial features are more detailed as is the rest of the body. The color is much more accurate in this photo.

This guy has a full on spotlight with one side lit diffused through the plastic of the bin. The shape of the Transformer is defined, the color is bright, the detail is strong. The Autobot symbol is visible, the background should be white or plain with this lighting.

This is back lighting, the light source comes from the side and behind. Think old time Hollywood glamour.  The shape is more defined, this is the type of lighting you would use for pottery or simple shapes, or if you want to highlight some strong features. The color is washed out, but it really shows the depth of the item.

A close up of the detail of the Transformer with backlighting and a diffused spotlight. this is the best lighting for a detailed picture. It shades and highlights very well. The item is not "flat" it has personality and its fun to look at. the background will be washed out so it can have a loud print. The color is spot on, but I would try to get a stronger spotlight for a richer color.

These were shot with "natural lighting" with the same phone right after I turned off the lamps. In a bright room and lots of sunlight.

This is a close up using "natural lighting" taken right after I turned off the lamp. In a bright room and lots of sunlight.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014 09:02:09 AM »

So you have lights on just the sides of the clear tote or do you also use one on the top and/or back?  Thanks for the tip about using green posterboard, great idea Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion opening in mid September!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
sydniburch

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-R9I_AEU8aAo/T6t

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014 10:51:07 AM »

I only used 2 lamps, but I moved the lamps for more direct or diffused light. I did used aluminum foil to make some of the direct light softer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Fourth of July Look
July 4 Makeup Look
Fourth of July Makeup How-To
Halloween Mermaid Makeup Tutorial
Evenlyn Lozada Talks Beauty Trends
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...