A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,630
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I don't think the tension adjuster is working?  (Read 571 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

msminnamouse
« on: February 06, 2014 05:08:07 PM »

It makes no difference how I turn the tension knob, I don't see any difference in the tension. I'm not sure it's functioning correctly and now, my bottom stitches are loose. Any advice? How do I tell if it's actually working or not?

I have a Singer Merritt 2404.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014 08:17:42 PM »

Have you tried cleaning the fuzz/lint out of your machine?  That sometimes helps. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

msminnamouse
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014 01:25:37 PM »

Okay, it DOES seem to be making a difference, I guess. But there's a new problem that keeps occurring now. It keeps pulling the fabric into the machine, down where the bobbin is. Huh I have no idea why it would be doing this. I don't think I have the tension set too high because I'm not getting puckering. And I have it threaded correctly, bobbin and spool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014 05:15:15 PM »

Is it possible you have the zig zag throat plate in place instead of the straight stitch one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamarose22
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014 02:09:10 PM »

I have a Singer model #348 (circa 1963(?)) that had similar tension problems.  I kept turning the tension (I call it the cymbals because that's what the dial looks like) and no matter what I did I couldn't fix it.  I called in the repairman and it was thread caught in the bobbin area.  10-15 minutes and it was fixed.  Also there is an adjustment that can me made in the bobbin holder casing but I wouldn't attempt to handle that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
http://www.pinterest.com/mamarose22/
steiconi
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014 11:47:51 PM »

It does sound like a bobbin case problem.  Threads get caught in the case and prevent it from tensioning properly. Kind of like getting dental floss stuck between your teeth.

If it's really clean but still a problem, there's usually a tiny screw on the bobbin case; turn it one way (probably clockwise) to increase bobbin tension, and counterclockwise to reduce it.  Pay attention to how much you turned it, so you can do it again or undo it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
choo_choo
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014 07:53:56 AM »

Maybe I'm off base  but.........
Most machines the upper thread tensioner (one she appears to be questioning) only works when the presser
foot is down.
So check the tensioner itself. It is spring loaded. If it is a used machine new to you, somebody could of done something to it (torn it apart and reassembled it wrong or lost a piece).
Also most pressure feet have a amount of pressure adjustment. There must be at least minimal pressure on the foot when down.

As to fabric being pulled down into the machine.
Again as another said you could have the wrong plate for the material and the type of stitch.
Also the pressure foot may have too much pressure on it.  Release the adjuster somewhat.

Also if the bobbin tension is way too tight for the thin flimsy material you may be sewing, it can pull the fabric down also. But then there will be other issues , such as balled up loops of thread under the material and caught in the bobbin area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Natural Solution For Backache
How to Wear Fresh Spring Makeup
The Risks of Wearing Eyelash Jewelry
Makeover Lover and Minimalist Swap Beauty Routines
A 61-Year-Old Grandmother Wears Makeup for the First Time
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...