A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage computer hardware sunburst mirror  (Read 531 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

apis_melis
« on: February 06, 2014 12:35:36 PM »

This all started with a trip a few weeks ago to a local store that handles used, surplus, vintage and just plain odd electronics. It is always an overload of stimulation: artistic, technical and nostalgic. This time was no different.

On one shelf of randomness there was a stack of CD carousels for jukeboxes. They were big - 16.5 inches in diameter, and the angle used to ease the discs into and out of the player produced an elegant swirl of fins. They were only $3, and I had set aside a sunburst mirror project before the holidays because it was getting too fussy, so this seemed like a cheap way of closing that out. This was a much sleeker look than my original design, although the matte gray of the plastic needed improvement if it was to have a happy life outside the bowels of a jukebox.

Then by the register there was a 14" copper-coated aluminum disk from a 1970s disk pack. At $5, it was probably about 99% off of the original price, and I love a good bargain.

When I saw how well they fit together, I was convinced to sacrifice the whole 18 megabytes in the name of art.

At home I scrounged a thrifted glass plate from under a plant that had a radiating pattern similar to the carousel and gave them both a couple of coats of mirror paint.

A biscuit tin lid fit into the carousel back, which was not strictly necessary but gave a nice, reflective gold surface behind the semi-transparent silver.

Then it was just a matter of gluing everything together and making a hanger from some picture wire and a couple of old screws. I also attached some soft plastic dots to protect the wall paint from the screws and so that it would lay flat against the wall.

It was really fun and easy to make. There were a lot of other possibilities: for awhile it was looking more like a clock with a beautifully hideous 1970s glass display bowl in the center, but the coppers clashed and the dish turned out to carry the clock quite well on it's own.

The disc color changes from golden orange to deep red with the light. The plate reflects a wavy image, which is a kinda fun contrast to most mirrors which have a flawless surface surrounded by a more rustic frame. The carousel could have done with another spritz of paint but I had a dread of getting drips between the fins and the work it would take to get rid of them. But overall I'm pretty pleased with the result.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014 07:52:41 AM »

How wonderful! You have such a good eye for putting parts together and ending up with something beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
apis_melis
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014 07:56:23 AM »

Thank you, rackycoo!

There is something inspiring about old hardware. It's like it kind of assembles itself, I just exist to move it around. And to buy glue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014 12:31:41 PM »

This uber cool project has been recognized here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427870.msg5159800#msg5159800
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Is Pysanky Ukrainian Art
The History of Cuban Art - Part 1/2
David Altmejd Profile
Karel Funk - Artist Profile
Vik Muniz - Artist Profile
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...