A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Natural insecticide, fertilizer, soap and art medium from used veggie oil  (Read 858 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

apis_melis
« on: February 06, 2014 10:31:42 AM »

Happy houseplants!

So this started out as a hot-process potassium hydroxide (KOH) soap project. I don't usually do either, as KOH is more expensive alkali than NaOH (sodium hydroxide lye) and cold process is less work. While I have not changed this opinion, I think this particular recipe is worth the trouble.

I wanted this soap to be concentrated but easy to dissolve. It was to be a dishwasher, laundry and household cleaning gel, as well as the base for an insecticidal/fungicidal soap for the garden and houseplants. Since potassium is a plant nutrient and excess sodium can harm them, KOH was the optimal choice for a base.

Supplies:

The usual personal safety gear (not shown):
Safety glasses
Gloves - latex, vinyl, nitrile are all fine
Closed-toe shoes, long sleeves,  sensible clothing. It isn't like the scene in Fight Club, but you still want to protect your skin.

Electric drill. If yours is cordless, fully-charged extra batteries are not a bad idea.
Paint mixer. The kind that goes on a drill.
Scale

The following items should be kept for soapmaking and not used for food. They should also be made of inert materials: glass, steel, enamel and silicone are good; aluminum and many plastics are not.

Large pot. A large crock pot is better but I didn't have one big enough. I don't think there is one big enough.
Strainer
Funnel (not shown)
Bucket (not shown)
Sturdy stirring implement. Mine is not shown because the soap won. The spoon was not sturdy and went to spoon heaven.
Thermometer registering the 90 - 180 F range. Two makes things even easier.
Scraper
Potato masher
A large straight steel spatula is nice but not essential
Large beaker
Small crock pot (not shown)

1520 g KOH
400 g vegetable glycerin
4210 g water
180 g used grapeseed oil
6700 g used peanut oil
Neem oil

Procedure (sorry for the lack of action photos but I did it before I thought of posting the project):

While I am fussy about the oils I use for bath soap and shampoo, used peanut oil seemed just fine for this. I don't fry much, so I used some that was posted for free on Craigslist by a family who fried a turkey at Thanksgiving. It had been sitting in my garage since then and it was time to free up valuable space for other crafty items. My contact confirmed at the time that it was just peanut oil. If you are saving your own, make sure you know what kind of oil it is and how much you have of each if there are several kinds. Avoid fast food and other sketchy sources as some use hydrogenated shortening or blends that can throw off the calculations.

Filter out any particles in the oil. I like to do this before storing but the turkey oil was unfiltered when I got it, which is apparent from the photo. Those black spots are harmless food bits, not mold, and strain out easily.

Weigh your oils. Everything is by weight and metric makes conversions infinitely easier.

Use an online lye calculator that has values for KOH. The discount for liquid soap is usually -10% to 3% in comparison to 5%+ for NaOH cold process soaps.

The water calculation is usually about three times the KOH mass. Since I wanted this to be a fairly stiff gel and peanut oil does not usually produce a very hard cold-process bar, I replaced some of the water with glycerin. These two liquids should be mixed together in the beaker before adding the KOH (and remember to always add the alkali to the liquid, NEVER add liquid to the alkali!). Once the solution is mixed up thoroughly, monitor the temperature. As it cools, heat the oils in the large pot. The goal is to have both at about 140 - 150 F before mixing.

When they are about equalized, mix the KOH solution into the oils and begin mixing with the paint blender. This is the exhausting part, so the electric drill is the way to go. Put the pot on the stove on the lowest flame possible, trying to keep the mixture at about 150 F. It will be exothermic like CP but needs extra heat because you are driving the reaction toward immediate completion rather than allowing for the initial burst before the trace and letting the last bit to occur in the incubation/evaporation period.

It took an hour and a half of frequent stirring and constant low heat for the reaction to be visible. It didn't trace in the CP way so much as go straight to applesauce. Another three hours of intermittent attention and it was thick and translucent. I turned off the burner and let it cool overnight.

The result was a much more solid soap paste than I had anticipated. It was also very concentrated and surprisingly moisturizing to the skin. It came out at pH 8 - 8.5 on litmus paper, which is very mild. The smell, while neither attractive nor repulsive (and nothing very much like peanuts or turkey), was faint enough to be covered by a small amount of essential oil. The cooking pushes the reaction so that it doesn't need the curing time of CP soap, so it was ready to use immediately. I carved it out of the pot in chunks and put it into a covered bucket for storage.

It dissolves easily in warm water and can be diluted to 25% concentration for rich, lathery hand soap. Trials in the dishwasher produced super clean dishes with about half of the detergent compartment filled with paste. Laundry was also a success using about two tablespoons per load.

To make an insecticidal garden soap, take enough concentrate to fill your crock pot 2/3 full. Melt it with as little water as possible, mashing with the masher and spatuling with the spatula to break up the chunks. When it is completely molten, mix in about a teaspoon of neem oil for every two cups of soap. Turn it out into a wide-mouthed storage container and allow to cool.

To use, add a level tablespoon of neem soap to a liter of warm water and mix well in a garden mister. To supercharge it you can add a crushed garlic clove or two and strain out the particles before putting it in the sprayer, but it isn't usually necessary. Allow to cool to room temperature and spray plants well. Neem is non toxic to humans, pets and honeybees and has been used for many purposes for centuries. It and natural soap are generally regarded as acceptable by authorities on organic gardening. Since potassium is a beneficial nutrient for plants, it also counts as foliar feeding every time you spritz them!

A test of 750 mg concentrate melted with 100 g 80 proof vodka in the crock pot (not an open flame unless you enjoy soap flambe) produced a soft transparent soap with a warm honey color. I'm not enough a fan of transparent soap to motivate me to do it from scratch just for the prettiness, but making it from the concentrate is simple enough.

As a bonus, this is a pretty fun sculptural material. Since it is not caustic it can be worked immediately while it is warm and soft - I spent all afternoon playing with it without gloves and my hands weren't dry or flaky at all. It carves well when cool. The cooked paste went through an extruder well. It is lighter than microcrystalline wax and far less stiff. Use vodka rather than water to smooth without generating foam.

Since the oil was free, the cost was really just the price of the potassium hydroxide. Add in a few dollars to cover the neem oil and energy, and it comes out to about $9.50 for a batch of 12 kilos or about 36 cents per pound of paste; diluted to 25% for hand soap, that is less than 9 cents per pound. A load of laundry is about two cents' worth and a dishwasher load comes out to about a penny! Of course, my time does make it priceless </snark>.

I recommend this for other plant lovers and cheap people in general. If you haven't done hot process before, or not in awhile, doing a scaled-back batch first is probably a good idea.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014 10:35:37 AM by apis_melis - Reason: Fix picture » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014 11:28:08 AM »

Well this is the shiz, so glad I clicked on it! Bookmarked, rocked and shared, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
apis_melis
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014 01:27:40 PM »

Thank you, craftylittlemonkey! I am honored!

Soapmaking is so fun and useful. Each batch is a learning experience - sometimes in the good sense and sometimes not. Luckily, this was a good one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yoopidou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014 09:50:46 PM »

That's incredible! What a huge project!
I could use your insecticidal soap, for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014 09:13:46 AM »

This is fantastic! Bookmarking for future use!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
cackle
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Pottery, Ceramics, Polymer Clay Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Whenever I close my eyes the lights go on.. Lummis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014 11:21:37 AM »

Wow. I am impressed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

apis_melis
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014 05:46:25 PM »

cackle, I Sew Cute, yoopidou - Thanks! It really isn't quite so complicated, it just takes a long time.
I could use your insecticidal soap, for sure.
There are commercial organic neem oil insecticides if you need something fast. Many of those are essentially the same thing. You can also make your own with a plain, mild soap and a little neem oil. Good luck - it can be hard to keep the bugs at bay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yoopidou

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014 09:11:14 PM »

Oh yes, it's hard to keep the bugs at bay, especially since the ants are protecting or raising them. That's why I have some commercial neem stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014 02:20:09 PM »

Thanks for entering!

Have you voted yet?  Today is the last day to cast your vote! Smiley  Visit the challenge thread and you'll see the voting poll at the top of the screen! Smiley

Feel free to encourage your friends and family to visit Craftster, and even vote for you, but please remember, only one vote per person.  You must be logged in to vote.

Good luck!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
About the Dying Art of Stone Carving
Giant Hot Wheels Sculpture
Sandcastle: Creating the Sand Pile
Creating the Towers of the Sandcastle
How to Build a Sandcastle
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...