A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Impossible to Screw Up Valentines, Mother's Day, or Birthday Cards  (Read 242 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rockmygypsysoul
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 07, 2014 08:17:55 PM »

So I pretty much hate papercrafting - I LOVE what it looks like but I just don't get how you guys know what works together  Huh  SO anyway, I was fiddling around with my oil pastels (which I so love to do) and hit upon my easy-peasy method of card making.  Eventually I'll try it with other choices, but today I stuck with roses since they're both easy and distinct...

I made three, each slightly different; two of mine are designed for Mother's Day and one is a thank you note though I think these are totally appropriate for any occasion as long as the recipient likes flowers  Wink

The colors are really much more vivid in real life.

So easy, kids can do them, you can use materials on hand (for many crafters) and seriously, you CANNOT screw them up!

1.  Oil pastels (or even crayons) - grab a couple of colors and scribble.  Seriously.  It's totally cool if some of the colors blend together.  I used a sketch pad; pretty much any kind of non-resistant paper should work so no magazines but yes to old newsprint!
2.  Search online for a rose outline (or the outline of whatever you want to make).
3.  Freehand it with a black oil pastel.  With roses, this is super easy since they just build up and get bigger as they go around.  Again, this is super, super easy - you are not looking to duplicate an actual rose, just mimic the shape.
4.  For the background, I used soft pastels, smoothed out with a little water (I never knew until a few months ago that you can use soft pastels like paints; now I love them - *so* much easier to control than watercolors!).  I did the same with the stems.  Any heavy paper should do fine (watercolor paper's ideal but Bristol paper or even cardstock should be great).
5.  Assemble!  I liked having them reach a bit over onto the white edges but you certainly don't have to do that.  If you do smaller roses, you could put a bunch of them on or make a little heart shape with a rose outline  Smiley
6.  Add a sentiment.  I grabbed my trusty black fine marker.  You can write on the card or in the card.  In the one example you'll see, I even outlined the matte in black.  For any of this, black's great to use since it works with the outline of the rose.  I liked the black-outlined matting since it plays up the stained-glass look of it all.

That's it!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014 08:22:04 PM by rockmygypsysoul » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to choose meat for your Meatloaf
Home Style Meatloaf Recipe
The Best Salad in the History of Mankind
How to Fry and Serve Fried Green Tomatoes
How to Bread Tomatoes when Making Fried Green Tomatoes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...