A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nautical Mobile from old jeans and a table cloth (pic. overload)  (Read 1133 times)
Tags for this thread: mobile , whale , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yzzilnoaj
« on: February 04, 2014 03:11:58 PM »

I was given the honor of making the mobile for my best friend's baby.  She was thinking of a pirate themed nursery and since I am who I am (slightly crazy) I spent hours browsing the web for ideas.  I had this grand plan of making a felt pirate ship in the middle with a palm tree, treasure chest, pirate flag, pirate, treasure map and a shark around it. As I was about to start cutting the felt (I kid you not) I received a text from my best friend saying she was thinking a nautical theme would be better.  I almost climbed through the phone and strangled her but seeing as she is carrying my Godchild I held myself back. 

Thankfully it did not take me long at all to decide I wanted to make a whale mobile.  Once upon a time I had made my niece a whale out of jeans so I went with what I know.  My other half, Art, has a need to never throw away any jeans so I took this opportunity to steal two pairs of jeans that needed to be retired 10 years ago.  I wanted to the whale to have a lighter belly so two different pairs of jeans were needed.  I cut out my pattern and sat down at my sewing machine only to find it did not want to sew any longer...the motor was dead.  I am not sure how I managed to kill it but I did. 

I really wanted to continue on the mobile so I decided hand-stitching was the way to go.  As I was thinking of stuffing the whale I thought it would be cool if the tail and fins could bend and hold shape.  I found some pipe cleaners and used them as the stuffing for the tail and fins.  I think it turned out well because it makes the whale have more of a sense of motion. 

I decided that little fish and driftwood were the finishing touches the whale needed.  I went in search of some nauticalish (yup I have created a new word) fabric and came upon a truly hideous tablecloth I got in a grab bag at a church sale.  It was a fake patchwork tablecloth straight out of the 70s.  The thing was there were a few awesome patches.  I then made a pattern of a fish that fit in the cool fabric portion of the tablecloth and hand stitched them shut.  I decided that the fish should bend as well so it would look like they are swimming through water. Thankfully I have lots of pipecleaners in my stash. 

I really love how it turned out.  I haven't seen it in the nursery yet but I have been told by the BFF it couldn't be more perfect!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Taramor
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014 06:25:23 AM »

It looks great. Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iheartcooking
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014 11:10:28 PM »

This looks so great!  All the little fishies and the whale are awesome.  The details are amazing, the driftwood, the little hooks the fish hang from, very cool.  How did you get it to balance so well?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014 07:12:20 AM »

How adorable is that little whale??  Great job.  What a beautiful addition to a nursery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014 07:55:45 AM »

Congratulations! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Foods For Tailgating At The Game And At Home
How to Cook Bacon Perfectly
How to Fry Bacon
How to Cook Bacon in the Oven
How the New Orleans Dosant Was Created
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...