A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
329 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bleaching and fabric paint  (Read 473 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jadyth
« on: February 04, 2014 12:47:02 AM »

this is my final outcome.. it's here because i have no idea how to change the thread picture without plopping this in the start. [face palm]

so I've recently gotten off my butt and started using the fabric paints I've had for over a year they are derivan 'fabric art paint' I've never done stencils or any type of dying or fabric painting before so this is my first attempt.
this is the picture i figured I'd like to attempt

the stencil i started cutting out. i did it with freezer paper.
I've been looking at bleach stenciling lately so figured I'd do the bones bleached and the silhouette black fabric paint.
I've barely dealt with bleach period let alone intentionally staining stuff, so i sort of assumed it'd go a white-ish yellow no matter the fabric colour.. probably a bad assumption

this is what i ended up with. I cut the entire stencil out not realizing I'd get bleach seeping through the little tiny cracks of paper joins [seems like a silly thing to over look i know]
i did however think ahead and newspaper around the rabbit so i wouldn't get the splashes of random bleach on the rest of the shirt [it happened anyway so i did it to the full front of the shirt so it looked intentional.
does anyone know of a way to stop this entirely? is the only way to stop it to use plastic stencils? or something other than freezer paper?

even thought i thought I'd ruined it, i  continued and redid the outline stencil and ended up with..

I'm pretty happy with the outcome given it's my first attempt.
however there were certain spots that weren't exactly how i wanted so i touched them up with fabric paint by hand [the fuzzy spots you can see]
has anyone got any tips or tricks on how to get smooth lines by hand with fabric paint?

in low light it gives of the impression that it'd almost glow in the dark, which is pretty cool

so really any tips or tricks would be helpful on either fabric painting, stenciling or bleaching.

thanks in advance Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014 12:50:34 AM by jadyth » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014 02:10:40 AM »

Well one thought I might have would be to use a bleach gel pen, or similar product, rather than the total liquid kind.
You can find those with the regular detergent laundry soaps. They don't tend to soak under the edges so much, but you still have to use a light touch with them. No squishing!!!

I have seen all types of stencils used. The freezer paper works OK. It sticks better {ironed} for the designs, than do just a plastic stencil that you tape on. Another option is contact paper...the sticky stuff for drawer liners and covering things. You can trace your design backwards and cut from the paper side before you peel.

Boo boos {over cuts with slits where you don't wish them?} can be covered with plain clear tape. Or masking tape. To solve the overcut part. And if you really boo boo a stencil...masking tape and re cut it. Even if you need to overlap and make several layers for stability.

Keep practicing. It looks like you are well on your way to getting the hang of a new craft  Grin And great idea to just sprinkle more bleach, and make it look planned. If you don't tell people that you goofed, they will never know. Roll Eyes

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014 06:16:12 AM »

What an awesome image!  Love this shirt -- I would totally wear this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jadyth
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014 11:58:51 PM »

thanks for the tips and kind words ^_^
I've gone and brought a bunch of plain shirts and some contact paper to give it another go and see how it turns out
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014 07:41:33 PM »

This design is awesome. Your fabric paint stencil turned out sooo cool!! Love it!

I haven't done any bleach stenciling but it seems like you're well on your way. It's neat that it glows in the dark. Bonus!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Monday Makeover - The Festival Girl With Charlotte Tilbury
How to Add Edge to Your Look with Leather and Cat-Eye Makeup
The Monday Makeover - Sun-Kissed Skin Tutorial
Vogue Weddings - Erdem on Inspiration For His Collection
How to Do Zombie Makeup for Halloween
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...