A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 303,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What do 4 and 1/2 year old boys like?  (Read 518 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: February 01, 2014 05:14:32 PM »

Ok I need to do a single bed quilt for a 4 1/2 year old boy that I don't know.   I am a confident quilter with quite a bit of experience.  What I don't have any experience is what would be suitable for a boy that age.  I will probably use a simple pattern like disappearing 9 patch as the quilt will need to be finished relativity quickly.  The mothers house has been described as quite modern.  Looking for suggestions folks.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014 07:54:59 PM »

I was going to suggest the Disappearing Nine Patch before you said that's what you were going to use.

For fabric, what about a dark blue, a light blue, a medium blue and some other colored fabrics with 'child' stuff on it (bugs, crayons, balls, puzzles, etc.)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014 09:06:38 AM »

My son is 3 & I did a western themed rag quilt that was easy (King of the Ranch by Moda).  I also have a plus pattern of nautical fabrics that is in process for him - also easy.  And if you're looking for modern, there are a couple cute ideas in "Stop. Go. Quilt. Sew!" by Angela Yosten that are in my son's future.  They are transportation signs (stop signs, no parking, etc) made out of scraps:

I think with boys, the bigger trick is finding "boy appropriate" fabric - there are so many girly fabrics out there.  Blue is always a safe bet.  I like grays & orange too - we're going to paint my son's room that scheme.  And cammo is very boy appropriate.  It's a good age - they're not yet super picky, but just out of juveniles.  Wink  Nature (like the forest, bugs, etc) and dinosaurs are probably a safe bet.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014 09:16:18 AM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting cotton Hawaiian fabric scraps for a quilt if you wanted to send any my way!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Removing Objects in Photoshop
How to Create Fairy Portraits in Photoshop
How to Create business cards
How to remove a double chin in Photoshop
How to Use Black and White gradient in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...