I had this bench for about four months before I started working on it. I've been messing around with it, off and on, since April 2013, and now because of the glory that is a snow day, the bench has been completed....finally. Besides, I need to do something besides shop online...eBay and Amazon can be a dangerous combination!
As a refresher, here is the before picture. Excuse my shadow. It was late in the day when I took this picture and my back was to the west.
I wore out my husband's electric sander. I think this has about 4-5 coats of stain and 2 coats of polyurethane on it.
This is the after picture. I used curtain tiebacks to secure the cushions to the arm supports. I also bought four more to take apart and use as trim to hide the staples in the back cushions (the back of the bench is actually completely open through the wood, so it basically looks the same on the backside).
My friends lovingly this "the toilet," because I actually turned it into a bench with shallow storage space under the cushions. There's a hinged lid in the center of the bench. Originally, there were just batting, springs and horse hair under the original fabric.
There's a handful of things I would have liked to have done differently/better, but this is the first piece of furniture I've ever redone so I'm still pretty proud of it.