A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 301,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
706 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HOME SWEET HOME Featured Artist 3rd Quarter 2010: Beeker  (Read 401 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_artist  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2010 11:46:38 AM »

This Quarter’s Featured Artist for the Home Sweet Home board is beeker

She makes beautiful home décor out of natural items for other Craftsters in swaps, and even recently posted a tutorial for all of us!

Why did you start making gourd crafts? My mother is a very artistic person. I grew up watching her paint and craft. I learned to love crafting from her. She always encouraged me to try new ideas and techniques. Mom helped me learn woodburning as a part of a 4-H project. I can't remember the first gourd I tried woodburning. I did learn that gourds burn a lot easier than wood.   I really enjoyed making the gourds so I kept at it.

What inspires you?  I find a lot of inspiration in nature for my subject matter - leaves, dogwood blooms, butterflies, maybe an occasional squirrel. The gourds themselves also inspire me. It sounds kind of corny, but sometimes the gourd tells you what it needs to be by the shape or the coloration. If I use paints I like to keep them soft and let the natural patterns of the gourd show through.

Besides gourds, do you craft anything else? Gourds are my main craft. I also dabble in needle felting, which I would do more of if I could stop breaking those needles and if wool grew on cows. (I have those, but no sheep;) )
I am kind of a random crafter other than that. I craft for the occasion. Teaching music, I have to create sets for my Christmas programs. I have made an 8 ft paper mache snowman, 5 ft Christmas cookies with a 5 ft glass of milk to dip them in, and giant gingerbread houses. For my sister's wedding I helped make boutineers and corsages, and countless lucky origami stars for the tables. I like finding creative, crafty ways to solve problems.

Did your first gourd turn out like you wanted it to? I don't specifically remember my first gourd, but I do know they don't always turn out the way you imagine. I have left the woodburner sitting too close to the gourd and ended up with a big black spot. I try to incorporate it into the design, but sometimes there is just no saving it. I don't throw away gourds, if nothing else I can chop it up for parts.

What is your favorite gourd that you’ve made? My favorite gourd is probably the one I made for the Awesome Swap for Lovesclutter. It wasn't my dogwood like I do on a lot of my gourds, but it turned out just how I pictured it. I was happy I kept my lines fairly straight. Usually straight lines elude me. A close second would be the gourd for my first swap ever.  

Do you have any artists that you admire or who inspire you either in real life, or on Craftster?
There are so many awesome Craftsters out there. I am a big swap addict. I know that if I see certain names on the swap sign-up list I feel confident jumping right in.  PJHerbert makes some really wonderful things. I was fortunate enough to be in the Geezer Swap with her recently. The whole package was amazing, but the shawl she made for me was unbelievable.
I'm in love with PhoenixFireDesigns tree of life pendants. Also, I really like what Noooitaremybirthday makes. Her style is so different than mine, I think that is why I like it. Nooo's projects are always so vibrant and full of joy.  

What is your favorite Home Sweet Home project that another member has posted?  
 Coloringmyworld made a tree for her foyer and I think it is beautiful! I would love one in my living room.  

What is your favorite non-Home Sweet Home project that someone else has posted? It's hard to pick a favorite. It would probably have to be Pinokeeo’s paper pottery. It is so simple and clean. I can't imagine how you could make paper look like pottery. I would love to learn how make something like this.  

Some more of beeker's beautiful work!
Trinket Box

Owl Gourd

Whimsy Jar
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010 02:20:42 PM by pixieval » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pjherbert

He is such a little stinker!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010 01:08:42 PM »

Congratulations Beeker! Your gourds are beautiful and one day I hope to be the recipient of one!

Thanks for the shout out! I feel honored that you mentioned me with all of the hundreds of craftsters that you have been in contact with!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010 05:43:50 PM by pjherbert » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bexieboo
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010 01:24:02 PM »

Yay for Beeker!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Danamom
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010 01:42:10 PM »

WOW your work is  wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
{sigh} maybe someday mine will be that good or I'll get one of yours!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
phoenixfiredesigns
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~* The Amazing Miss M! *~

(That crazy Tree of Life Pendant girl)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010 01:48:37 PM »

Congrats on being featured, Beeker and big thanks for including me in your list of favorite Crafsters. I'm honored! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Like what I post? It's likely for sale! Etsy Storefront: http://phoenixfiredesigns.etsy.com }

{ My Blog: http://giveneyestosee.com/blog || LIKE PFD http://facebook.com/PhoenixFireDesigns }

{ Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/missmturner/ }
noooitaremybirthday
Tutorial Contributor

You don't have to type the whole thing...Call me Nooo :D

I've gone through like 5 gluesticks this week...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010 02:09:43 PM »

Hooray for Beeker! You definitely deserve the feature Cheesy I'm so flattered that you like my crafts, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cherry_blossom55
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010 04:24:28 PM »

wonderful work! I was just admiring your tutorial on gourds the other day. Smiley

ps: the link for Pinokeeo's paper pottery is broken. Sad
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010 04:54:02 PM by pixieval - Reason: thanks for letting me know! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

beeker
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010 06:08:56 PM »

Grin Thank you everybody! *blushes*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
Christmas Stocking Swap - crafting Smiley
gramma

love those prairie sunsets

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010 05:25:56 PM »

Congratulations Beeker! I have enjoyed seeing your gourds!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coloringmyworld

I want to be crafty forever!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010 01:00:20 PM »

Congratulations on being featured!  You do great work and deserve it!  Grin
Thanks for the shout-out too!  Cheesy  I'm honored!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Edible Body Paint
How to Make a Paper Gift Box
How to Make Handmade Christmas Ornaments
How to Make Felted Sheep
They Still Do That? Yarn Spinning
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...