A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,441
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why do you swap?  (Read 2940 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014 05:02:30 AM »

I'm a bit like that too... Sometimes it's good to be able to make something I want to make (but wouldn't enjoy owning), for someone who actually wants it. I'm more of a process crafter than a product crafter. I enjoy the making.

"I'd like to try that pattern/technique" - *tries it out*  happens more often than "I need/want a scarf" - *makes one*. Swaps are a good way to try out new things, or make things I wouldn't want to keep. It's also good for me to have a deadline... If I have a deadline I get things done, but if I don't I tend to start new things or get distracted by shinies...

And I like getting fun packages in the mail... And it's really great to be able to receive crafter goodies I can't make, or wouldn't think of making. There's not just one reason I guess...
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014 02:44:17 PM »

I swap because it helps me be creative. Having an appreciative person to craft for, some parameters, and a deadline, really inspires creativity for me, especially if I'm having a creative block.

Plus I get to hang out with my awesome craftster buddies, and get great surprises in the mail! Smiley

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014 11:21:24 AM »

Swapping has given me confidence in my crafts, and inspiration to try new things and get pushed out of my comfort zone. 
I love the idea of getting things in the mail!  And beautifully crafted ones on top of that is awesome!
I have also realized that it is a huge stress reliever.  And I also love the idea of getting things that I can never make for myself.

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014 11:51:03 AM »

I use swaps as a motivator because I have a set deadline and theme to craft around. I never make items for myself but I love making items for other people! I also love that it forces me to stretch my creative muscles. I mostly crochet but my partner in the swap I'm in now wants something sewn so I'm branching out an trying my hand at needle and thread!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I'm an uber nerd that loves Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Divergent, Supernatural, and Marvelverse (to name a few.)
Harry Potter Favorites Swap Is Live

I'm interested in personal swaps!
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014 05:28:23 PM »

I agree with everyone above.

My whole life I have loved to craft and try different kinds of art, it is my happy place but I always had trouble making time for it.  I would do a course in the summer and love it and then fall comes, and I get busy, work, life, always saying oh yea I should make time for that.  The couple years before I started swapping I took a week off and made myself a 10 day craftorama challenge in which I made a new thing every day, and posted pics to FB for friends.  That was fun but still concentrated.  Then I found myself newly single a couple years ago around the same time as I found craftster and swaps. 

Having the deadline and a commitment was perfect, it makes me prioritize time to craft.  Having a theme and more importantly a partner with their preferences inspires me, I love the challenge, and having random things to work with that I would not have chosen on my own.  I love learning about my partner, their lists, their pinterests, and thinking about what that person might really appreciate that I can do, or at least appreciate my thought and effort. 

Sometimes I'm drawn to a swap theme, for the shared love of something geeky, but often I'm drawn to a swap to make a certain kind of item that I have been meaning to try, or think might be fun.  Who knew I would fall in love with making Teesha Moore style patches?  Would I ever have tried that but for a swap?  Or dotes?  Altered tins?

And last but definitely not least I love to see the swap gallery.  What everyone else has made, on a similar theme or style, everyone is so nice and creative and I learn so much.  I am inspired.  For example Ludi's stitch painting makes me think about embroidery in a whole new way.

I keep thinking I need to cut back on swaps but I can't resist.  I just realized I'm currently in 5 in progress.  Smiley

"I reserve my right to be complex." Leslie Feinberg
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
April Fools Steak Recipe
Chicken Chorizo Meatloaf Recipe
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
How to Make Chicken With Mushrooms
How to Make Potato Salad
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...