A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,640
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ugly baby quilt in pink and orange  (Read 608 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jnicodemus
« on: January 27, 2014 08:11:37 PM »

It's not so much ugly as it is an extreme disappointment.  I love this fabric collection so much and found a pattern in a magazine that I thought would look good, but then something went very wrong.  So I tried to make the best of it, and four years later I've finished the first of three ugly baby quilts.

This is also my first time machine quilting - definitely went overboard with that, but it's an ugly quilt, who cares if the quilting makes it worse right?  My sweet husband thinks it's cool, though, so I've got that going for my new found "skill".

All in all, I'm just glad that I'll never have to look at this again.  Enjoy! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014 06:22:31 AM »

Ugly, no way - I think it looks great!!  I really like the color, the geometric shapes, well, just everything about it.  I'd be proud of this quilt if I had made it.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mouseinmypocket

There's a mouse in my pocket!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014 11:15:36 AM »

I hate to hear that you don't like your finished quilt. And don't be hard on yourself about your machine quilting.  It looks good to me.  And I'm sure that someone will love it.  You can always donate it to Project Linus or something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See more of my projects on my website http://www.mouseinmypocket.com, or just stop by to say hello!
Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014 01:57:37 PM »

I think it looks brilliant!  I love how the colours pop!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014 02:19:26 PM »

Not ugly at all, and I think you did a great job on the machine quilting.   Smiley  The thumbnail caught my eye, I'm glad I came over to look. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
waggonswest

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014 08:04:44 PM »

I REALLY like this quilt.  The design caught my eye in the new projects list and I had to look it up.  It is incredibly graphic and very well done.  The simple two fabric plan really emphasizes the design.  We all know there are flaws in our quilts.  We put them there on purpose!  (Depending upon your viewpoint they are there let the spirits out or because only God can make something perfect.)  It isn't a flaw it is a feature.  So learn what you can and then finish it up and move on dearie!!! 

Wash it in hot water with a couple color catchers to be sure and it will be almost impossible to find any issues.  It is a great quilt and will be well loved by whomever is blessed to own it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
magicfan
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014 10:10:41 AM »

You are being too critical...it is not ugly at all. I think you did a great job with the quilting also
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jewels01
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014 03:52:48 PM »

Ok I see your point about being a bit disappointed with how your material choices worked out.  But I think your machine quilting looks good and very appropriate really improving the finished piece.  We all end up with some projects that don't work out how we saw them in our mind's eye.  Interestingly my last one was when I fell in love with a fabric range on the bolt but had terrible trouble using it - anyway my cat likes the result - it is in his basket and he says I can make as many mistakes as I like.   To prevent future problems I would suggest you read "Color Magic for Quilters" by Ann Seely and Joyce Stewart.  This is one of my Quilting Bibles as it talks about not just color but also visual texture and how color placement can change a block.  Keep up the quilting and remember we all have favorite projects and therefore least favorite ones as well.  Show me a quilter that doesn't and I will show you a quilter with a big cupboard full of UFO's 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eamea
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014 11:57:21 AM »

I don't think it's horrible at all!  Not knowing what was in your mind's eye, I like that it's bold and graphic.  The quilting looks fine, too.  Are you disappointed with the pattern you chose to quilt it or your ability?  If it's the latter, cut yourself some slack!  It's your first time, and I would have to hate you if it was perfect.  Grin 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
jnicodemus
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014 06:11:17 PM »

Thanks for all the great feedback.  The disappointment with this quilt is from the original layout which used two other sets of blocks similar to the ones I've used here.  The entire quilt would have been more of a twin size, but it was just so wrong that I decided to break it up into three smaller quilts.  This was really my first time making a quilt using a pattern, and I didn't follow the directions regarding color choices. 

Anyway, it really isn't so bad as a small quilt; I really love the patterned fabric used in all three quilts and, fortunately, I still have some left to make into something else when I'm ready.

Also, the original plan would have been a quilt for my daughter who I was pregnant with at the time.  Now I'm pregnant with my second baby and I just need to finished up these left over projects.  I'm hand quilting one of the final two, and I'll machine quilt the third one - they are all the same design, just slightly different colors.

Thanks again for the feedback!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photographing a Brown Hare
Photographing a Wood Mouse
Badger Photographs
Photographing a Bagder
Red Deer Photographs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...