A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reversible Halter Dress  (Read 671 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Thundercrow
« on: February 19, 2014 10:28:19 AM »

I use Simplicity 1606 dress pattern, I made it fully lined so that it is reversible. I am not a fan of zippers so I did corset loops and a modesty panel that is also reversible red/black. The picture is the red and black side, when flipped it is completely black. I didn't do the boning, no place local seemed to have it in stock and I like the support of my long-line bustier/bra better anyway so I wore that and pinned it so that I could get a tighter little black dress fit when wearing it. I'm thinking of doing one or two in cotton so that I have some cute summer dresses too! Smiley
And now for the pic...

And one of me wearing it
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014 08:29:16 AM by Thundercrow » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Learn to turn frustration into fascination. You will learn more being fascinated by life than you will being frustrated by it.
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014 03:42:21 PM »

That's a great looking dress. I love how you've turned the back into a corset style. Is it ok to get on & off? I always seem to struggle with strings in the back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Thundercrow
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014 08:32:02 AM »

That's a great looking dress. I love how you've turned the back into a corset style. Is it ok to get on & off? I always seem to struggle with strings in the back.

I left the ribbon long enough that its not a big deal for me to reach to tie it or I have the man help me get it tied since its fun for him -.o
Its sewn sturdy enough that I can tie it and carefully shimmy it up in place too which is what I did for the pic I've added of me wearing it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Learn to turn frustration into fascination. You will learn more being fascinated by life than you will being frustrated by it.
Antidigger
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014 11:04:28 AM »

Thank you. I may have found my problem: I'm not the sturdiest of sewers at the best of times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thundercrow
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014 03:30:43 PM »

Thank you. I may have found my problem: I'm not the sturdiest of sewers at the best of times.

I'm sure you're great! It just takes a lot of practice and patience (I'm prone to over-excitement myself). I've been sewing for a long time (hand sewing since 10, machine since about 12). My mother insisted on it, even insisted I first learn on a treadle sewing machine, I didn't use electric til I was 16. There are also lots of great instructional you tube videos from people (professor pincushion is good), and I've found several from collages too (west vally) if I find I can't remember something or am stuck I reference those and them practice on scrap etc. That is how I learned to do button holes on the machine for instance Cheesy Crepe back satin is sturdy on its own too which helps, that is what I made the dress out of. I've got a pattern for making the crinoline underskirt today so when I finally get around to that I'll add another pic in. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014 02:23:34 AM »

I think most of it comes from the fabric I use: I'm not a dressmaker, using brand new fabric. I'm an adapter, using the worn out remnants of clothing to turn into something else for a while. This means tiny seam allowances, already well worn patches and quite often thread that is stronger than the fabric. I've learned a few tricks, but, well, it took some mistakes to learn them.

I'll be excited to see the underskirt once it's done. A crinoline should Pouf it out with out making it too hot to dance in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thundercrow
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014 01:48:42 PM »

I think most of it comes from the fabric I use: I'm not a dressmaker, using brand new fabric. I'm an adapter, using the worn out remnants of clothing to turn into something else for a while. This means tiny seam allowances, already well worn patches and quite often thread that is stronger than the fabric. I've learned a few tricks, but, well, it took some mistakes to learn them.

I'll be excited to see the underskirt once it's done. A crinoline should Pouf it out with out making it too hot to dance in!

Ahh. I see, you are strong, in an area where I am weak. I'm just making attempts now to salvage/recraft/repurpose things. And I stink at it lol. Any suggestions for websites etc that have helped you learn (other than here of course)? Or was it all just trial and error?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014 01:48:52 AM »

Most of it has been trial & error, but you can be really free to do that with old clothes: they've already had a full life.

The one thing I'd say is to reinforce your stress areas if you can: a second layer of your fabric sandwiched on a seam or a placket is a good way of using those bits that don't quite match colours any more. And features hide patches or stains or bleached spots very well if they are in appropriate places.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tie Dye a Bikini
How to Do Stitches on the Sewing Machine
How to Use Dye on Garments
How to Apply Tie Dye
How to Make a Camouflage Tie Dye
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...