A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Empty Bowls Fundraiser Pottery  (Read 403 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dreadlocklove
« on: January 26, 2014 12:48:12 PM »

These past few years I've been wanting to sign up for a pottery class, it was actually one of last year's 50 projects to complete.  It's been a no-go this entire time so this time, I wondered if it was even worth dreaming of the impossible.  Which leads me to today...  A non-profit I volunteer for, Anti-Hunger Coalition, is preparing for its 3rd annual Empty Bowls fundraiser event by teaming up with the college's pottery class instructor.  Participants pay $25 for their ticket and choose a handmade bowl to eat amazing soup (prepared by local chefs) and bread from.  There is also a silent auction that takes place at the same time, and we fit all donated items into a bowl theme.  With 200 tickets being sold this year, plus the donation items, that's a lot of bowls to make!  And today, I got to take part in one of the pottery sessions!! 

This is absolutely a new medium to me, I've never done anything sculpting-related before, so I just went with it.  It took me about 4 1/2 hours, but here's what I came up with, in the order they were created:

We have Wednesday evening scheduled to sand and glaze but I don't know 100% if I can see my projects through to the end yet.  Still, I felt like sharing.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014 11:10:31 PM »

what a wonderful gesture Smiley i love the two folded bowls at the bottom
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014 08:27:45 AM »

The third one is my favorite. Did you ever see it through to the end? I'm curious to see what the finished products looked like! When is the event?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014 06:29:06 AM »

My husband and I are doing the same thing!  Yours came out great, I'd love to see them glazed, please post an update!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
dreadlocklove
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014 09:48:39 AM »

I completely forgot to come back here..  Thanks for the kind words!

One of the organizers of the event (and potter) finished up my bowls for me.  Here they are:

I bought a ticket and ended up choosing this one at the organizers' request.  It was her favourite of all the 175 bowls made and said I'd be silly not to take it.  There were so many beautiful pieces to choose from and it was hard to decide but ultimately, I felt it would be a good souvenir as my first batch of pottery experiments.

Sadly, the origami started to crack before it was fired so the organizer had to do a lot of trimming to keep it pretty.  It's definitely not the end-result I was hoping for but unique in its own way.  =)

As soon as I can, I'd love to sign up for some classes!  I ended up going to Michael's today to get some Stonex clay for a swap project.  I'm not sure how it's going to turn out but considering I don't have access to a kiln, it's the best that can be done for now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Famous Supercars on the Track at the 2014 Gran Turismo Polonia
Dodge Celebrates 100 Years and Gets a Hellcat Engine
Volkswagen Passat - Active Info Display Animation
Jaguar Team Sky: Cycling Under the Sea
2015 Chrysler 200 in the Wind Tunnel
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...