"I don't think you'll like it when it's done" was the response my mother-in-law gave when I described this project to her.
She's wrong. I do like it, very much.
My dining room chairs are wooden, rather elegant (I think) and really quite uncomfortable to sit on for a long period of time. I have ordinary cushions, which just slide off and don't seem to cushion the awkward bits. So, having a bit of carpet underlay left over from when we had the carpet redone, I cut one to size. Actually, not bad, especially considering that there was just a thin skim of foam really. In fact, it felt so much better, that I cut pieces to fit all 6 chairs (This was in mid December, a day before I went down with a bug that lasted until beyond the new year-yuk) and we used them, just a foam cut-out, for Christmas dinner! However they still slipped off the chairs-in fact, even more so because we sat on the chairs for longer because they were more comfortable.
Anyway, over the last week, I've finally acquired a round-to-it and covered them, with old tee shirts, which fitted them so nicely. I've added ties to the back so they no longer slip off the chairs and I have some of my favourite old shirts back in use. Wins all round I think.
Oh, and they are thrifty because it is all from recycled material I had on hand anyway: nothing new used at all.
Here are 3 so you can get the idea,
and a close-up of one, so you can see where the ties are.
The joy of the ties is that they are teeshirt material, so all I had to do was to cut a thin piece, stretch it like teeshirt yarn and tack it to the back
to make the body of they cushion cover, I turned the teeshirt inside out, put the cushion insert inside, pinned through all layers and then, using the zipper foot on my sewing machine, sewed 3/4 of the way round the outside. Simples!