A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,386
Currently Running With Scissors:
749 Guests and 43 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mold making with Great Stuff! foam?  (Read 378 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

msminnamouse
« on: January 23, 2014 07:17:21 PM »

Has anyone made any molds, or even casts, with Great Stuff! foam? I have some and like that it expands to fit and will generally hold it's shape and not be too flimsy to work with when dry. I haven't used any to cast or mold with yet. I imagine I'd need a good release agent.

I'm hoping to hear from people who have this experience and can give me any heads ups that may help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RKEM
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014 01:49:31 PM »

Great stuff sticks to EVERYTHING. I would be afraid that the original would be permanently encased and removing that stuff when it is dry or wet is pretty hellish (I have so rubber gloves with Great stuff permanently attached to them). I could see it maybe used as a support shell around another more flexible mold, keeping in mind that in large quantities Great stuff has some shrinkage issues too.

If you are not going to cast something that doesn't heat up when it cures (some plastics and resins get super warm), then you could probably a mold (a two pieces ... not sure it would work as a brush-on) using gelatin, glycerin and sorbitol. There are lots of tutorials out there on how to cast FX prosthetics using the stuff but I think it can work as a mold material.

The tricky part can be to find sorbitol but what I've used in the past is maple flavoured syrup that they sell for diabetic people (see the drugstore area of Walmart or maybe even your local grocery). If you want super dense gelatin at the end, you can reduce the syrup to increase the concentration of sorbitol in it. Then follow any number of directions online on mixing it up. What you will get will have the consistency of balistic gel when it is cured, but when it is hot it is very pourable. It would work well for two parts molds or press molds. And once you are done, you can re-melt your mold and do something else with it. Technically, you could also eat it ... since all the ingredients are edible Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msminnamouse
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014 10:26:43 AM »

Can't believe I haven't thanked you for this idea. Sad

I haven't made it yet, but have all the ingredients. I'm finding your typical mold making materials kind of expensive for someone unemployed so I love that I can melt it back down and recycle it. I'll have to see how it works for making molds. Thank you again!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn about Recycled Art and Beadworks
The Art of Recycled Materials
How To Play A Augmented 7
Learn How To Trade Emini Future June 15
Creative Greeting Card Ideas
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...