A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Micro Terrariums and biospheres from recycled jars Now w/ tute  (Read 1277 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , terrarium , recycle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2014 11:46:30 PM »

Hello , I hope this si the right board . I usually post clothing

Being trapped inside this snowy winter I find Myself becoming obsessed with plants and My window garden

Recently I recycled a mason jar an old flour jar and a wine bottle from My hubby and My  vacation to Key West last year into self sustaining bio gardens complete with live snails ! No need to feed the plants and snails take care of everything for each other .. The jars can even be sealed shut then you never need to add water - the plants create Oxygen . Im going to add some tiny ghost shrimp to the wine jar in a day or so

I also decided to try a few  micro terrariums with some tiny hen and chicks

open air micro garden with  fossilized rock

and just for fun My collection of  " Indian beads " crinoids

Thanks for looking and have a great day
Jayne
 Tute added  and more pics :

Thanks for the positive feedback  Smiley Im having a lot of fun with these . The jars with the snails are purely aquatic , The snails can breath air and they do need a small area at the top so they can come out of the water from time to time - also to lay their eggs  . I havent sealed any of the  snail jars yet because Im giving the water plenty of time to culture with good bacteria first ( ideally you would add a few drops of pond water to get the micro  organism and bacteria  going )- since its to cold to access pond water I used a few drops from My aquarium as well as taking some rocks from the aquarium gravel to get My base going .

If its warm enough you can actually collect almost all your materials from the wild !

materials :
recycled or new jar or bottle
" treated " tap water
a few drops of pond muck - try to include any copepods , annelids ,  and other water living buggies - they all add to the ecosystem and help act as
 cleaners
gravel or sand substrate
plants

its best to let your jar sit with the  micro organisms and plants for a few weeks before you add snails - this allows time for bacteria and algae to grow so your snails will have a bit of a buffet when you add them

for the land  terrariums I used just plants ( although you can add worms and rollie pollies if you have a large jar )

add some gravel or sand to the bottom of your jar - mix in a sprinkle of activated charcoal ( the kind for fish )

then a few spoons of potting soil - I used a paper cone to get it in without messing up the sides of the jar and use a long pair of tweezers to plant your plants - I added a few droppers of water and sealed them up - they should self sustain as long as they dont dry out .. if they get dry just add a few more drops of water

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014 10:29:14 AM by violentjayne » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014 12:06:59 AM »

How totally cool. Would you create a tute for everyone, or PM me with ideas. I would love to make one of these for my own. I have done similar terrariums, but none this small. Mine were gallon wine jug size, but I don't have space for those anymore.

And you can completely seal them?? Even with the animals in there?? I know that plants do create oxygen...and obviously you have given spaces for the snails to come up out of the water. When they wish to. How do you keep their slime off the glass? You know, the snail trail.

Those ghost shrimp are neat. I grew up with them...they called them Sea Monkeys  Grin You ordered them from the backs of the comic books.

These are really neat. I have some cool fossil rocks, too. Wonderful additions for your idea. Winter is bland. I am with you on that one as well. But I only have limited space with sunlight. These would be great to add to my windowsill. Mine would be southern light. But it gets good early morning sun. Do you think it would like it there?
My jade plants do fine, but I don't think you can ever kill them  Grin

Wonderful share...now you have me thinking. And turning up rocks in the snow to find snails  Roll Eyes

~T

Whoops. I rocked you!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014 12:10:58 AM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014 03:57:22 PM »

Rocked 'em!  I have a collection of homemade terrariums too, but I've never added snails.  I'm definitely going to try that one in the spring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
maraschino
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014 05:03:21 PM »

Lovely! My partner and I have just started getting into terrariums. We made one from a vintage tea decanter that we found in a free pile. They look like this:  http://ancientpoint.com/inf/46510-vintage_silver_plated_glass_coffee_decantor__warmer_stand__carafe__tea_pot.html

So much fun, and very addicting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall
Chantress by Amy Butler Greenfield
Katy Butler Gives Tips on the End of Life
Katy Butler Explains the Final Stages of Life
Cathy Erway on Honing Your Interests
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...