A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Our dollhouse from a Target Cubeical!  (Read 3002 times)
Tags for this thread: dollhouse , category_featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CvilleCraftyGirl
« on: January 21, 2014 09:52:14 AM »

My daughter and I turned a Target Cubeical (that's how they spell it) into a dollhouse over the last couple weeks.  At $34.99 (plus I had a 10% Off Cartwheel), the price was right - and when she's done playing with it, we can use it for shelves again.  It's far from 'complete' but these things never really are complete anyway, are they?   We bought some things, made others, and put together a few kits to get where we are now.   :-)

We put a piece of plywood underneath so we could add castors so she could roll it around her room.  The lights are LED stick-up lights from the Dollar Tree and instead of the little cardboard stabilizers in the back, we used a piece of 1/8 inch plywood.  I cut it slightly higher than the top and made it curvy on the top of the rooftop garden.  I added pre-made fence to the back, and a little green and grey felt (the green wasn't large enough) and voila!

I have seen projects like this before, so I know that I am certainly not the first!  :-)

The rooftop garden along with the bunny hutch and Fido's dog house.  

The baby's bedroom.  The lamb picture and the Little Dreamer picture are both scrapbook embelishments.  The blue rug is just printed onto cardstock. The small table and chairs were built from a kit that Michael's sold a few years ago in their wooden puzzle section.  The wallpaper is scrapbook paper.

The parent's bedroom - mom is having a well-deserved rest.  The bedroom set is a Melissa & Doug set.  The mirror is a small purse mirror purchased at Pier One for $1.00.  The wallpaper is scrapbook paper and the floor is tan felt.

The bathroom/laundry room.  We have since put in a toilet paper roll and towel bar.  The bathroom set and the laundry set are purchased pieces.  The shelf is made from craft wood bought at Joanne Fabrics.  The divider is just cut foam board.  The Lather Rinse Repeat picture is printed on paper and stuck on chipboard for some depth.

The living room.  Dad is waiting for his TV so he can watch some football.  The yellow is just painted.  The furniture is purchased from Ikea (here).  The mirror is a purse mirror purchased from Pier One for $1.00 and the Family picture is a scrapbook embellishment.  The plant is made of two small pots - one stacked on top of the other - and small greenery placed on top.  The wood floor is a wooden floor tile I bought at a yard sale a long time ago. The backgammon board is printed on paper and stuck on chipboard for some depth.

The kitchen.  The white kitchen cupboards and appliances are created from a kit made by Greenleaf Miniatures (here).  The red cabinet is part of a china cabinet sold at Michael's a few years ago - they no longer sell them, at least not at my Michael's...boo!  I just cut the top off and painted it red.  The PEZ picture is printed on paper and stuck on chipboard for some depth.  The high chair is part of the baby bedroom furniture you'll see below.  I bought the microwave and toaster at a miniature shop in Richmond, VA a long time ago.  

Here is the dining room.  It's the room that needs the most...love.  So far it just has a little white table I found on Amazon and a few dresser/hutch things I found at the Dollar Tree.  They don't sell them on the website anymore, but I know I've seen them there recently, in the toy section.

Thanks so much for looking!  :-) <3

For pictures and descriptions of the individual rooms, please feel free to check out my blog.  :-)
(http://craftygirlcreations.weebly.com/1/post/2014/01/dollhouse-from-a-target-cubeical.html)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014 05:29:13 PM by sweets4ever - Reason: Merged duplicate threads for member :) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014 10:19:31 AM »

Love it! Absolutely perfect Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Linakins
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craft Hoarder

Will work for craft supplies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014 11:29:59 AM »

This is adorable! You both did an a wonderful job on it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft to preserve my sanity!

If you like my work and would be interested in a personal swap, please contact me!
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014 12:26:30 PM »

Such a sweet doll house, you both did a great job on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
lindyv321

That is sooo Craftastic!

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014 01:54:27 PM »

What a fabulous idea!!! You should enter this in the current Craftster challenge!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014 10:11:05 PM »

This is so fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
CvilleCraftyGirl
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014 05:46:55 AM »

Thanks guys!  It has been so much fun to do with her - we find new little things every day to put in it.  :-) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CvilleCraftyGirl
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014 05:48:20 AM »

What a fabulous idea!!! You should enter this in the current Craftster challenge!

Ok, maybe I'm just being a moron here, but I can't find the current Craftster challenge! Help!  :-)

EDIT:  Nevermind, I found it as soon as I posted this.  What a great suggestion, Lidyv321!  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014 05:54:34 AM by CvilleCraftyGirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindyv321

That is sooo Craftastic!

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014 08:13:56 AM »

Welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JillHogan
Jill

I don't throw things away.

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014 08:32:10 AM »

I keep wanting to start a dollhouse but am hesitant to go buy one.  This seems like a great idea.  I LOVE the rooftop patio!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.60#axzz2oulo2ajK

My pinterest:
http://pinterest.com/jill_hogan/

I love swapping altered puzzle pieces.  PM me!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get The Maximum Beauty Sleep
Potential Ban on Microbead Exfoliators
5 Essential Makeup Brushes Everyone Should Own
The Trick To Applying Red and Nude Lipstick.
The Ultimate Guide to Self Tanners
Latest Blog Articles
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...