A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Suggestions for sprucing up a very boring front yard?  (Read 525 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bcharmed01
« on: January 21, 2014 09:17:25 AM »

Hello guys!
I am very clueless when it comes to this kind of stuff and I don't even know where to start. Does anyone have any ideas and suggestions to add some curb appeal to our very boring, very brown house? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gaudiknight
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014 01:45:39 PM »

I am not an expert on xeroscaping, but maybe some large rocks or decorative fencing below the window where people in a wetter climate would put shrubs.  Maybe some pots of flowering cactus or other low-water plants to add a little color for at least part of the year? Or some contrasting gravel to make fake "flower beds?"

For the house itself, shutters on the windows would add a bit more contrast. Or to go out on a limb - people used to put up awnings over windows in the days before air-conditioning.  That might be another way to inject some color. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bcharmed01
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014 02:58:11 PM »

I am not an expert on xeroscaping, but maybe some large rocks or decorative fencing below the window where people in a wetter climate would put shrubs.  Maybe some pots of flowering cactus or other low-water plants to add a little color for at least part of the year? Or some contrasting gravel to make fake "flower beds?"

For the house itself, shutters on the windows would add a bit more contrast. Or to go out on a limb - people used to put up awnings over windows in the days before air-conditioning.  That might be another way to inject some color. 

Great ideas! Thank you!! The shutter suggestion is genius! I found some great DIY shutter ideas on Pinterest. Definitely going to have to do that this weekend. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmarion3
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014 03:12:56 PM »

What a wonderful opportunity.

Definitely look into xeroscaping, in other words landscaping with your dry climate in mind. The yard definitely was originally planned that way....just too little.

Check with your county or state extension office, they usually have a lot of good info on landscaping and growing in your climate. Is there a school with a horticulture program, usually a community college, that might be interested in your yard as a design project. There may be master gardener programs in your state as well. Many nurseries have landscape designers on staff as well. Go to the library and look at landscaping books. Used book stores are good for these as well. Search the web. As you drive around, take a snap of yards you like. Start a stash of things that caught your eye.

I see a gathering area or patio on the left, next to your entry way. Seating, potted plants and low lighting there would be very inviting.

Then islands of rock beds with succulents and grasses and whatever else grows with little water in the front. Think of a wandering path through this area and plan beds accordingly. This kind of landscaping can grow as you have the time, the money and divisions from the plants that survived previous plantings. I like to work with what survives, it's happy, I keep it.

Grab some paper, sketch out the front and then start playing with ideas.

PS: My honey is a botanist and horticulturist. And I garden too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014 09:35:18 AM »

I agree with what someone else said about putting some lovely shutters on the front. If it were my home, I would maybe focus on the patio you have there and fill it up with potted plants and such. Make it a little oasis. You can even do some inexpensive water features you can make yourself. Maybe line the walk way with potted plants but it looks to be dry there so you would be watering a ton and that makes the water bill go up. Good luck with this marvelous blank canvas to work with! Have fun!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cornbread Dressing Recipe
Salt and Pepper Turkey Recipe
How to Make a Homemade Pizza
How to Make a Roux
A Top Chef Reinvents Your Wedding Registry
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...