A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Photoshop question  (Read 602 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EmA
« on: July 07, 2005 10:03:16 PM »

I have been using the Magic Wand tool in Photoshop to cut away the background on some pics of jewellery that I took but the effect I am trying to achieve seems almost impossible. I want the image to be a transparent GIF so I can apply text over it on my website but the cutting away of the background is so time consuming and sloppy looking. I think the problem might be that the jewellery is glass (highly reflective) beads and really  not ideal when it comes to this method. I tried it with a solid piece of plastic jewellery and it worked great.

My question is...
Has anybody tried this or had similar problems? Or does any one out there now of a better way to create a transparent image of a photograph?

My boyfriend is helping me with the site and most of the technical part and swears this is the only way to do it. I am frustrated and I guess a litlle stubborn too...I  need to find a better way!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
OurJuliet
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005 10:09:27 PM »

I prefer to use the masking tool.  Then you can "color" the area that you want gone...unmask so that it is selected...then delete the area.  When you go to export it as a transparent gif, you will be able to easily select that white background at that time (making it transparent when saved).

Hope this made sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005 10:17:01 PM »

Are you taking the pictures with a solid colored background? Try putting a piece of poster board behind them to serve as a background and that ought to make it a bit easier to cut it away, even with highly reflective beads. Which tools are you using to cut it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AnnieMO
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005 12:36:32 PM »

Here are some really helpful tips on how to remove a photo's background in Photoshop. 
I usually prefer to use the bezier pen tool to outline the area that I want to keep, then change the path to a selection.  I'll keep up a little with a paintbrush/eraser in QuickMask mode and then inverse my selection and delete the background.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshop/l/blremovebackg.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EmA
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005 04:16:04 PM »

thanks for all the tips everyone, I think I really need to make sure that I have an matte background ( like the poster board ) . I'll try some of these new ideas to see what works best.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sagoz
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005 04:19:17 PM »

the extract tool is great Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diagonalman
I am man. Watch me Sew.

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005 09:36:50 PM »

Ok you're all wrong! (Just kidding... there are lots of ways to do it) Smiley

I'm a member of the national association photoshop professionals. And without a doubt, if you want to cut something our of an image, you must learn to use the pen tool, using paths. Its one of the most difficult things to learn, however, once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder how you lived without it.

Using the path tool give you the largest amount of control over what you're working with. It's like tracing, but without the tracing paper. You add points to a shape (e.g. a coffee cup). But with Photoshop, if you can control every little point, every little curve. Once you've "traced" out your shape, you can convert it to a working path and use that as a mask to remove the background.

If didn't understand a word of that... and don't be discouraged, I do this all day long. There's another way.

First, make sure you take your pictures on a solid high contrast background... but something that won't throw off your color since you said you're working with reflective materials.

Then, make a copy of it in Photoshop so you have two layers, with the exact same image. Put a new layer in between and fill with a high contrast color that you won't mistake for the image, like neon green or something. Switch to the eraser tool, select a hard edged round brush. Then erase around the outside edge of what you want to keep. You'll know you're doing it right because you'll see the neon green from the layer beneath. When you've gone around your item, select a slightly larger brush to erase what's left. Voila!

PS: The first way is so much better though. Take some time to learn it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DiagonalMan
Sewist/Seamster since January 2005!

Please check out my new Holiday Cards at Etsy!

Magnolia Handbags & Accessories
ph33lth3lov3

*when in doubt go duct*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005 09:41:44 PM »

honestly, i prefer to use the polygonal lasso! the magnetic lasso is good too, but only if the border is clear. With both, you can make a selection, feather it, and then make a new layer from selection or delete the background. you can also set the "stickiness" of the magnetic lasso.
but what diagonalman said is true. the paths also work well for this, but they were harder for me to learn. you have more control over each point after you've traced it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let me see your gila
http://www.gilabuttons.com -your one stop button shop
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Geographically, There Are No Secrets
Capturing Desert Gold
Photograph on the Edges
The Secret to Shortcuts
Modern Day Explorer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...