A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,764
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting in Rounds?!  (Read 544 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

danhoneybun
« on: January 11, 2014 10:10:31 PM »

SO I've been trying to learn to knit for a while. I've systematically been working through the Knitting for Dummies book, working through knits, purls, cables, etc. But now I've hit rounds, which is the entire reason I've been wanting to learn to knit. I just can't seem to get it though. I've tried doing it with five small needles, I've tried it with the round needles and I've tried it just with the two and I literally just can't get it. It all just seems to get huge gaps and fall apart once I go back to start knitting into the first cast on.

I want to die!

All I want to do is make a cute toy!! HELP!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014 01:07:39 PM »

I like to knit in the round with one long circular needle, so I have half the stitches on the needle, then a big loop of the cable making a u-turn into the other half of the stitches. What happens to me is there is tension on the first and last stitches of each section, because the cable isn't perfectly bendy. All you have to do is make sure that the first two stitches of each section are pulled really, really snug. The extra yarn sitting in the gap between each section then gets pulled into those stitches on the next pass around.

Here's a clickable pic from Wikipedia that exactly describes my method. I've never done the multiple dpn thing, because just the thought gets my anxiety up. I like efficient techniques, and 4 or 5 needles is less efficient than one.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014 01:08:51 PM by Alexus1325 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014 05:51:46 PM »

If you don't have enough sts to fit around the length of a needle, you'll have to use magic loop or single loop where you pull out the cord between sts to 'shorten' the length. Here's a video for single loop - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyd0BkKC8tU - you can also search there for Magic loop, which is shown in the picture in the post above.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014 06:04:04 AM »

Don't give up!  Find the most flexible circular needles you can find...I have Addi's but I really love the knitpicks ones I bought last year...they are so flexible and smooth and makes knitting in the round so much easier...do you have a yarn shop nearby?

I struggled with watching videos, reading books, etc. But, it finally sank in when someone showed me...it was like fireworks going off in my brain!! 

I still use DPN's a lot...mostly for socks...but for small projects and hats, circulars are wonderful!

Good luck--stick with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014 08:20:52 AM »

I'm not sure but it might be a problem with how you are casting on and joining the knitting.  Depending on how you cast on will change the point at which you join your knitting.  I know I also knit one pattern that suggested joining after knitting a few rounds (rows) flat to make sure nothing twisted, and that might help as well. 

Good luck, and i hope you can figure it out.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Grilled Cheese Tricks You Need to Try
How to Make a Kid-Friendly Stovetop Cheesy Mac With Bacon
Roasted-Root-Veggie Pot Pie Recipe
Making Venison Chili in the Federal at Miami Beach
Classic Sloppy Joe Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...