A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,215
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Minecraft Cake  (Read 730 times)
Tags for this thread: cake , minecraft  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Frosted
« on: January 16, 2014 09:42:12 AM »

I was not super happy with how this cake turned out, but my son really liked it, and that is what counts. This was for his Minecraft birthday party. I had a difficult time cutting the cake into a perfect square. That seems to be a continuining problem of mine. After a thin layer of icing, I applied brown fondant over the entire thing. We then cut out the squares of various colors of fondant and stuck them on the fondant underneath. I have noticed the Cake Boss uses a steamer to get rid of all the cornstarch that is showing, but since I did not have that, we brushed it lightly with water. It did leave water drippy marks on it though, so I might look at getting a steamer sometime in the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

That is sooo Craftastic!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014 11:00:55 AM »

My son wants a Minecraft cake for his birthday too!  I have never worked with fondant though so I am not sure what I am going to be able to come up with! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bobbysgirl
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014 08:33:42 AM »

Whenever I make cakes with fondant I use the regular iron on steam setting from a ways away. If you practice on a spare piece until you figure it out, it works pretty good for spiffying it up Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruckamuck
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014 12:13:41 PM »

This is fantastic!! I'm sure that he was thrilled, you did a good job. My boys (6 and 13) are way into that game as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Frosted
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014 09:25:49 PM »

Whenever I make cakes with fondant I use the regular iron on steam setting from a ways away. If you practice on a spare piece until you figure it out, it works pretty good for spiffying it up Smiley

Thanks for the tip. I had wondered about this in the past, but it always seems I only make cakes for the kids' birthdays, and then I am terrified to completely botch it up. I really should make more practice cakes to try things like this out on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Dermatologist Dr. Ava Shamban
Meet Jordan Reid of Ramshackleglam
Meet Shannon Ray of Gloss and Dirt
Meet Celebrity Makeup Artist Sarah Uslan
Meet K.L. Cao of SecretLifeofaBioNerd
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...