A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crockpot Recipes and Tips  (Read 3972 times)
Tags for this thread: crockpot  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lindyv321
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

That is sooo Craftastic!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2014 03:07:10 PM »

YUMMO!!! I love buffalo chicken anything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2014 03:13:48 PM »

It is SOOOO good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2014 01:33:16 PM »

Earlier this week, I picked up America's Test Kitchen's Slow Cooker Revolution (volume 1) at Costco.  Looks like lots of good stuff in there and not too complicated, but... even the easy recipe I'm doing for tonight has strained my non-cooking-centric mind and patience.  I'm sure people who enjoy cooking and/or are experienced/good at it would find it quick and easy, though.  This is supposed to be curry chicken.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2014 05:48:04 PM »

So obviously I am a few months late to this party, but I figured I would chime in with some thoughts.

As a school teacher, my work load and schedule seems to shift pretty drastically from year to year based on my current assignment, and this has a big effect on how much cooking on do.  Some years, I've tried to dedicate one night a week to cooking, but this past year I can seriously count on two hands the number of times I made dinner.  (DH certainly wasn't pleased with the fact that he ended up doing 98% of the cooking, either!)

So this summer, I am experimenting with crockpot cooking, and I think I'm falling in love.  Don't get me wrong, I love (the idea of) regular cooking, and I video record Food Network/Cooking Channel shows constantly.  But even the simplest meals (that I actually want to prepare) seem to take me at least an hour of work, and I just did not have the energy for that last year.  My goal is to have a repertoire of awesome slow cooker recipes (at least 10 really great ones) by the end of the summer, so that I can be responsible for cooking 2-3 nights a week next school year.

One of the things that I'm learning is that the same "rules" I've learned for "normal" cooking apply to crockpot cooking as well, even if the recipe doesn't call for it.  For example: I'm always going to prefer chicken thighs, even if the recipe calls for chicken breasts; browning meat in a saut pan first will add more flavor to the final dish, etc.  (My favorite thing about browning the meat first is that I can leave the cooking oil in the pan on the cool stove, and then 10 minutes before we eat, heat the pan back up and deglaze it with some white wine, which I'll use to cook up some baby spinach and kale for a super quick side dish.  Yum!)

Those of you who were active on the thread earlier posted some of your go-to slow cooker dishes, and I've pinned a few of those.  In fact, I've got a small board of slow cooker recipes to try on my Pinterest (http://www.pinterest.com/vincentvanbuck/food-slow-cookercrockpot-recipes-to-try/).  So far, my favorite slow cooker recipe is this cashew chicken that was shared by Mistress Jennie over on the HPC board: http://utah.todaysmama.com/2012/11/22/recipe-for-slow-cooker-cashew-chicken/.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2014 02:57:14 AM »

I always make my pot roasts (with a bottle of Ginness) and curry (using curry paste instead of sauce) in the slow cooker. The worse part is having to smell it all day but the convenience is worth it.   I don't really have recipes as such I just kind of wing it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2014 08:07:05 AM »

I made pineapple chicken on Monday and it was soooo bland.  Is that common of crockpot recipies, that they come out bland/or need extra spices?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2014 11:39:41 AM »

I always make my pot roasts (with a bottle of Ginness) and curry (using curry paste instead of sauce) in the slow cooker. The worse part is having to smell it all day but the convenience is worth it.   I don't really have recipes as such I just kind of wing it. 

Mmmm, curry.... I will definitely have to explore doing that in the slow cooker.  My DH absolutely hates the smell of food in the house, but is willing to endure it if it means I'm cooking more. Wink (I, on the other hand, love the smell of cooking going on in the house!)

I made pineapple chicken on Monday and it was soooo bland.  Is that common of crockpot recipies, that they come out bland/or need extra spices?

I feel like if the recipe seems too easy, there's a good chance that the end result will be bland.  For your pineapple chicken, did you use breast or thigh meat?  A couple of people have told me that chicken breast is always going to turn out dry in the slow cooker, so you should always use thighs unless you don't ever eat dark meat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2014 12:26:18 PM »

I don't know what type of meat it was that I used....DH is the shopper in our house and whatever he purchased is what I used.  But the meat wasn't the problem, I don't think.  The entire meal was just so bland...  I'm going to keep what you said in mind, though, about if the recipie seems too easy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2014 03:59:40 PM »

Some recipes I use as a starting point and then add more spice to them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2014 01:47:32 PM »

I tend to cook by taste and I probably put tons more spices and things in than a recipe would call for and most slow cooked things can benefit from a taste and spice refresh or fresh herbs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Makeup You Can Wear to the Beach
5 Beach Makeup Tips
How to Get a Natural Makeup Look
How to Make Your Nose Look Thinner
How to Use an Eyeliner Brush
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...