A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
719 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crockpot Recipes and Tips  (Read 4530 times)
Tags for this thread: crockpot  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2014 11:18:15 AM »

Cooking is not my thing and I'm comfortable enough with that to accept that I don't even want it to be my thing. BUT life included working together to get the job(s) done and that means me doing some cooking and the slow cooker really helps me with that. AND we've had some great meals that we've repeated too much so I am making a butternut squash and white bean stew today. If it turns out well I'll share the recipe.

A couple of things I like about it so far are that it's a 4-5 hour thing which will be nice in the future if I don't get going first thing in the morning and that there are fewer pre-canned ingredients than some of the other recipes we've used and at the same time not much prep other than chopping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2014 11:43:32 AM »

I love that I am able to do other things-not tied to the kitchen. I definitely need to broaden my recipes.

I think I want to make this recipe this weekend. Cheese......

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/03/slow-cooker-swiss-chicken-recipe.html

I think I might invest in a mini crockpot so I can make small batches of crockpot oatmeal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321

That is sooo Craftastic!

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2014 12:34:54 PM »

We really try to eat pretty balanced meals with a meat, starch, and veggie every night and that can be a lot of work.  It's nice to come home and dinner is practically done!  It's also nice here in the summer when it's hotter than you know what to not have to stand by the grill and roast or turn on the oven.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2014 01:32:11 PM »

Kittykill, when I make oats I bring the pot of water to a boil, dump in shredded apple and raisins, the oats, a pinch of salt, a splash of vanilla, and a shake of cinnamon, then turn off the heat and put the lid on. It's done in 5-10 mins and I use whole oats, not quick. I always make a Big pot and put the rest into the fridge in a square container. Later I slice it up and fry it in butter for something a little different. That's the kids absolute Fave, fried oatmeal. If you prefer something other than butter coconut oil is said to actually increase metabolism Wink.
I don't see the point of cooking oatmeal for hours in a crock, seems like overkill to me. Is there a reason people like it that way? I haven't tried it myself so if there's some big secret to crock pot oats clue me in!

Lindy, many people believe that eating starches and proteins together discourages proper digestion as those two things take entirely different enzymes to deal with. I don't know if that info's at all helpful to you but it's made it a bit easier for me to meal plan as I'll often prepare either/or instead of both. Rice and veg, or meat and veg, but hardly ever rice and meat and veg. I do put everything into soup though, mustgo soup as in everything in the fridge Must Go! Ha!

I still want to try roasting a chicken in the crock but the days I work I'm out for more hours than it calls for so I don't think it'll be good. Some of the shredded chicken recipes seem like they'd be ok after all that time but I really need more recipes that call for being on all day instead of just 4 or so hours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2014 01:41:03 PM »

I always see these recipes for overnight oatmeal. I think if you add fresh fruit, it give a chance for the oatmeal to absorb the juice and make the fruit soft.

I am so trying your oatmeal recipe!

For my husband, we have to have protein and starch/carb for diabetes. Too little carbs, his sugar plummets, too much, it spikes. We use the 3 plate method-One big protein, a veggie and a starch. We do veggie, meat, rice or a roll. Our starch/rice is usually the smallest serving. Just enough to get the sugars stabilized.  Smiley There are so many variations of eating food-my favorite is sticking the food in my mouth and chewing.  Cheesy

I work from home 1/2 day on Fridays-that's my crock pot day.

Does anyone have any recommendations on veggies in the crockpot, especially carrots. I either overcook or undercook them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321

That is sooo Craftastic!

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2014 02:05:59 PM »

I roast all my veggies in the oven so I am no help with cooking them in the crock!  I have added carrot in when I make a roast but don't really care for them that way..

Starch/carbs are my favorite part of meals so I try to make that the smallest portion but it doesn't always work.  Give me bread or potatoes and I am a happy woman Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2014 02:07:26 PM »

Mmmmmmm.....bread.....I could never be mad at bread or potatoes for that matter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dewshinesdopp
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2014 03:16:15 PM »

I am foaming at the mouth at the idea of fried oatmeal!  I must try that! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2014 04:04:05 PM »

I am foaming at the mouth at the idea of fried oatmeal!  I must try that!  

When it's hot in the pot add some sugar or maple syrup, or honey if that's how you take it, and butter if you like that in there so when you fry it you'll only need to pour on a bit of cream or milk.

I learned some things about feeding somebody with sugar issues today, hmm. It's never been on my radar but good to know just in case!

And I could never be mad at a potato either, though I could easily live without bread.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014 02:17:00 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2014 01:55:46 PM »

I made the best Buffalo chicken chili last night:

1 lb cut up chicken breast
1/2 chopped onion
2 chopped celery stalks
1 12oz beer
1 cup chicken broth
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1/3 cup Frank's hot sauce
1 can black beans
blue cheese and sour cream for topping

If you want to, you can brown the chicken first, then add everything to the pot (except the blue cheese and sour cream),or you can throw the chicken and all the ingredients into the pot, cook on high for a 1-2 hours, then reduce to low and cook until the liquid goes down. Top with blue cheese and a little sour cream. You can omit the beans if you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn the Basics Of Ikebana
How to Paint Stone
How to Paint Fantasy Miniatures
How to Broomstick Lace Crochet
How to Age Brass
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...