A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Corset Making Question  (Read 298 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ejd93
« on: January 15, 2014 01:59:49 PM »

I have wanted a corset forever. I think it would be so useful for so many costumes. It's almost impossible for me to find lingerie that fits properly so I've decided to make one. I have a good handle of sewing projects and have come up with a good pattern for the corset I want to make based on the pictures I've found of it online (http://www.agentprovocateur.com/lingerie/corsets-and-basques/info/mercy-corset~black). I've done a lot of research but have a few questions.

My questions are based on materials.
1. Since I'm so small, do I even really need boning or is there a better alternative? I don't necessarily need it to function. I just want it to look pretty and be lightly structured.
2. What would be the best lining? Again, since I don't need a corset to cinch my waist or anything I'm wondering if I really need to put as many layers into it as a traditional corset.
3. I want it to look like a corset and be slimming but I don't have concerns of keeping anything in place. Is a corset really what I need to be researching or is there a better word?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014 12:23:57 PM »

1. Rigiline should be fine if it fits, rather than cinches. If you don't bone at all, it will sag and puddle around your waist the first time you breathe.

2. Cotton cuz it breathes well. Use something with some body, not just broadcloth or muslin. Anything from a good quilting cotton to denim/cotton twill, canvas, or duck cloth. If in the future you decide to make a real corset, go all the way to pillowticking or coutil. Basically, you want something with a tight weave and minimal stretch. If your fashion fabric is flimsy, put the boning channels onto the lining (between the lining and outer layer), and consider underlining the fashion fabric as well.

3. If the look of a corset is what you want, then yes, build a lightly boned corset.

If this were for a one time use costume, you could get away with some shortcuts, but if you want it to last, the phrase 'garbage in, garbage out' comes to mind.

Make a trial run. Don't finish the top and bottom so you can transfer the boning to the real deal. Use a bedsheet or other super cheap fabric for the outside and cut up old jeans for the lining. You're just testing the fit, but you still want it structurally similar to the finished garment.

Sorry if this sounds all serious and snobby, but you'll be really happy with the results if you take your time and use quality materials. A good pattern goes a long way, too. The Simplicity pattern I tried was a disaster (much swearing and eventual throwing of the mock-up across the room) but Truly Victorian's 1880s corset fit right on the first try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nofuelleft
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014 02:33:59 PM »

The pattern that you like has cups .......
It is hard to make a corset with cups  since  a corset will change your shape but the cups still need to be at the correct place .

Also A corset will flatten the front , so no defined boobs sticking out.

If you really want something with cups you might be better off looking for a bustier pattern .

Try looking for "merckwaerdigh" patterns on ebay .
They have some pretty good ones and they fit great  and you can easilly put in a busk and a lace up back.

And i do agree 100 % with alexus1325 : use good materials  and take your time making mock ups and yes , stuff will be flying around
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Celebrity Hairstylist Serge Normant
Tia Mowry-Hardrict Reveals Her Hair Crushes
How to Change a Bad Hair Day Into a Good Hair Day
How to Accessorize Your Big Chop
5 Lessons Sherri Shepherd Has Learned From Wearing Wigs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...