A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Insect Vivarium  (Read 522 times)
Tags for this thread: insect  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tikli
« on: January 12, 2014 05:06:59 PM »

Before Christmas I was looking for good insect related presents for our toddler. I'm an insect nut and so far she's really enjoyed interacting with ladybugs, earthworms and beetles. Browsing through Amazon I came across this Ladybug Land toy http://www.amazon.com/Insect-Lore-2100-Ladybug-Land/dp/B000099Z8H/ref=pd_sim_t_3 but it's all plastic and yuck. I have very fond memories while young of catching insects and having a bug zoo during the afternoon before letting everything go at dark and I want to pass this fun on. We have a few of those basic bug houses with the mesh, but they're rather boring and hard to see through the mesh. Plus, I think it must be a horrible experience for the insect!

At any rate I decided to make something myself for insects to crawl around in while we could watch them. A trip to the thrift store turned up this large, glass container and I had an idea of what to do with it. I was inspired by this book I stumbled upon called 'The Butterfly Vivarium'. It has some beautiful illustrations (which I used for another project!) and was inspired to make something nice. http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/bibliography/66051#/summary

It was so simple to put together I almost feel silly posting it! First I layered some potting soil in the bottom followed by some large gravel. I dug up a bit of moss from our front yard (we live in Seattle, moss is plentiful!) to give some color and texture. I also found a great, small branch and a little bit of wood which looks like a miniature log. The white is a bottle cap which we'll fill with water. I think I'll paint it brown or maybe blue. The final step is to make a mesh lid. It turned out like a miniature scene from Lord of the Rings.

Much better than the plastic one! I can't wait until it gets warmer and we can find some insects to try this out. I'm certainly going to try finding some more good, glass containers and make some more!

Links to my photos since I'm not to 10 posts yet!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014 07:54:29 PM by LimeRiot - Reason: edited to expose photos for new member. welcome to craftster!! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014 07:55:36 PM »

In addition to being fun and educational for a toddler, it's also really lovely to look at!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
pjr107
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014 07:58:47 PM »

This is really neat and welcome to Craftster!
What type of opening does the jar have? Is it a wide mouth or a narrow bottle style? 

Keep crafting!
-pj
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tikli
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014 02:49:12 PM »

Thank you both!

You're right LimeRiot, it is really nice to look at! I have it still sitting on my desk and I found during the day I keep staring at it more and more.

The bottle has a wide neck fortunately, it would have been a huge challenge getting that branch in otherwise. Although I wouldn't rule out one with a narrow neck, I could tip it on its side and add things to it like building one of those ships.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Killam Creative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014 07:32:06 AM »

This is gorgeous! I could stare at for hours, with or without insects! That branch has so much character.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You don't make it with your hands.
You form it with your hands.
You make it with your mind.
                Edgar Tolson, 1971

Pinterest
Blog
cackle
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Pottery, Ceramics, Polymer Clay Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Whenever I close my eyes the lights go on.. Lummis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014 12:59:00 PM »

Fantastic! It's beautiful and a piece of art in itself...with or without the bugs. Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Silk, Your Best Friend for Beauty Sleep
How to Do Turquoise Eye Makeup
The Best Hair Removal Techniques
Beauty Blog We Love: Martinis And Mascara
DIY Sugar Lip Scrub Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...