A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,935
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Russian Cathedral  (Read 877 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dancingnymph
« on: January 08, 2014 08:30:06 PM »

So, I've always thought St Basil's in Red Square is totally amazing so it became my inspiration for this. I tried to make it last year but trying to make round towers defeated me. This time I've had other challenges: being in 3 different houses and travelling with part assembled gingerbread; not being able to afford the ingredients I wanted; shaking hands; and my boyfriend trying to help ;-)

It's now 4am so excuse me if I don't make sense. The idea is a cathedral with 'onions' (what the tower tops are known as according to my mother) with a little choir singing outside and a rogue choirboy skating on the frozen pond. Some fave details to spot are the lamps over the arches and the stained glass window in the centre.

I really wanted to do a more urban one with an ice rink, a little babushka etc I even had an idea for moving parts so maybe if I brave this challenge again next year I will have the opportunity to go (even more) crazy. Anyway, here she is...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jen Sews

Formerly known as lukenlarry

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014 09:47:30 AM »

Its beautiful.  Glad you persevered through challenges to make it.  Tell me more about the ingredients/construction?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancingnymph
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014 08:04:56 PM »

I used egg free gingerbread as my niece has a very violent allergy to egg and she had a go at making biscuits with some cutters.
The base is two slabs of madeira cake covered in squares of wafer that had previously been sandwiched together but I broke apart.

The main gingerbread architecture is hexagons glued together in strips, some using melted chocolate and some using thick glace icing gone over with chocolate spread to try and neaten it a little. The round towers are in two halves each, made by cutting loo roll tubes in half length ways and then covering them in tin foil, I also had to made little stabilisers for the moulds as the gingerbread is quite heavy.

The 'onions' are cupcakes, sculpted and squished to make them rounder (I wanted to use teacakes, not sure if you have them in the USA?) but the size options were restricted due to the loo roll size. I then put a dolly mixture on top to give it a little point and wrapped them in icing. In a perfect world they would be covered in silver balls of many colours but this was a project on a budget. The little stars on the red one are actually tiny pasta. One of the 'onions' is a health onion because I ran out of stuff to make another cupcake one - it is actually an apple that I got to fit its tower! The stained glass window is boiled gummy bears.

The other tower parts are marshmallows and stacked mini party rings, which go really well in colour with the flump guttering. The gold tops are gold sprayed meringue (confession: I couldn't afford the edible gold spray paint - it was over $10 - so these bits aren't as edible as they should be).

The pond: is made of peppermints with a dash of green and food colouring. It looks awesome in real life but we can't get it to come out right on the pics. It cracked as I laid it down so I added the 'Danger Thin Ice' sign. The rocks are cinder toffee.

My people are made of milk bottles with the necks bitten off and replaced with pale rainbow drops. Path is cocoa powder edged with snow topped bushes of sugar coated chickpeas.

Phew! I think that's about it. Been a tough year to do this challenge but I am pleased that I completed it, even if it is not perfect. I'm sad there's so few entries this year, I always love looking through in awe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014 06:00:54 PM »

You did a nice job, I instantly recognized the landmark from the thumbnail picture on the front page.  Well done!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Christmas Stocking Swap R. 10

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014 07:02:04 AM »

Thanks for entering!

Have you voted?  Visit the challenge thread and you'll see the voting poll at the top of the screen! Smiley

Feel free to encourage your friends and family to visit Craftster, and even vote for you, but please remember, only one vote per person.  You must be logged in to vote.

Good luck!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Volumize Hair
How to Get Smooth, Shiny Hair
Easy Hair Extensions
Gloss Products Review
What to do With Thinning Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...