A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
330 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Don't drop it! Painted glassware. Lots of photos  (Read 680 times)
Tags for this thread: painted_glass , painted_wine_bottle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2014 04:15:58 PM »

I paint quite a bit of glassware including wine glasses & bottles.  I've done one stroke flowers for the most part but recently learned a new techniques that give me a much wider range.  I'm particularly fond of my wine diva.

I appreciate your enthusiastic responses & thought I'd mention a few more things.

Since I began painting bottles, I've come up with several uses for them other than just sitting on a shelf looking attractive. Not being a great connoisseur, most of my wine comes from a box. When I go to the clubhouse for social hour (or any other place where I take wine) I fill one of my painted bottles---always guaranteed to attract attention.

They also make lovely oil lamps. Kits are available but my resourceful husband discovered that by drilling a hole thru a brass cabinet knob, we can roll up the end a long wick, twist it into the hole & set the knob on top of the bottle.  Note the tall flat bottle with the pale aqua flowers.

Wine cooler & beer bottles are great too. When I want to remember someone but don't want to spend a lot of money on a gift, I've found that a beer bottle will hold nearly a full bag of jelly beans or M&Ms. There are just enough M&Ms left over to treat yourself while you cap the bottle & trim the top with ribbon & beads.

Flow restrictors are available at liquor stores so some of the smaller bottles can be used for bath oil, dipping & olive oil, or dish detergent.

I don't teach one stroke painting but can give a few hints on painting the other designs.

For most of them, I captured line drawings from free clip art sites, sized them as needed & printed them. I cut around the pattern, laid it printed side down on the table & moistened the backside with a damp paper towel. After dampening the INSIDE of the glass, I pressed the pattern to the moist area. I found that a rubber spatula sometimes helps to press the pattern in place. The moisture will help it stick to the glass long enough to paint the outline of the design on the outside of the glass. I replace the pattern with a folded paper towel before I paint the details in freehand.

I use enamel paints & pens for glass---usually FolkArt brand altho there are others. For durability, I bake the finish on. Put the glass in a cold oven & set it for 350 degrees. When it reaches temperature, time it for 30 Minutes. Turn the oven off & allow it to cool completely before opening the oven & removing the glass. Most paint companies say they're dishwasher safe but I hand wash them to be sure.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014 09:25:08 PM by Jenxx » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014 06:55:01 PM »

You do great work!  I particularly like the flowers where the stems are stems, and how you see the inside of the flower inside the glass.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014 07:50:07 PM »

Fun!  Love them.  Beautiful one stroke designs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014 08:00:19 PM »

Wonderful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014 01:41:39 AM »

Great work!!! I love them and if you need any more wine glasses to "practice" on, I have a few sets to lend.lol. Love that Diva!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
morus
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014 04:45:44 AM »

LOVE the beautiful flowers!  Great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014 02:37:11 PM »

The flowers are beautiful! Amazing work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014 08:26:42 PM »

The flowers are my favorites, also. Very cool.
I also really like that palm tree in the last photo. It doesn't really fit with the other 3 bottles! lol! But they are all beautiful.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014 08:27:44 PM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
stillatthetop
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014 04:29:00 PM »

Wow. Those all look wonderful. Mom used to do a similar tole painting style art on cigar boxes and trays, but they look even more wonderful on glassware. I like your wine pin-up gal, too. Miss Diva. Put her on a martini glass, and she can be 'dive for the olive Diva'.  Roll Eyes Very nice sets. And I love how you have recycled the bottles. Just fill them, and pop a new cork in them, and dinner party is all set to go! Or a wonderful picnic setting, too. Quite lovely.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Southern Fried Chicken Legs Part 1/2
How to Make Southern Fried Chicken Legs Part 2/2
How to Make Potato Chips Part 1/2
How to Make Potato Chips Part 2/2
How to Make Hash Browns
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...