A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,646
Currently Running With Scissors:
768 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: COVERING UGLY CURTAINS THAT ARE PRO INSTALLED  (Read 299 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

christysaysrawr
« on: January 07, 2014 07:50:49 PM »

A little bit of background info- I'm a senior in college, and plan on living at home for a few years after to save up money to buy a car (If I move out now most of my income will be going toward rent and my car is approaching 17 years old).

Anyways- my parents had these ugly ugly curtains installed in the entire house. They cover the whole window from about 6 inches above to 6 inches down. The nice thing is that they are blackout curtains- as I have two windows in my room.

But I really can't stand the color, and I'd like to spice up my room a bit- something more me.

My question is, how can I cover these up? I was thinking of making my own curtains and attaching them with clothes pins, but that might look weird? I don't know how I feel about safety pins because I do not want to damage the curtains (They were really expensive)

Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIYitis.
StitchWench
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014 02:47:54 AM »

You could use swags perhaps. if you look at this pic http://tinyurl.com/lr8k3t8 you'll see what I mean. When renting I used metres of white lace to make swags to cover up landlords ugly choices (blinds and curtains). I took it with me when I moved.

It does rely on a curtain rod but in one house I draped it using the pelmet. Lead sinkers held the lace across the top of the pelmet so I could still drape it in the middle.

HTH
Best wishes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014 11:03:46 AM »

I don't see a problem with the clothes pin idea. You can spray paint them to make them pretty. That, or depending on how the curtain is attached at the top, you might be able to hide the clothes pins over the top as a weight to the back side...and not even see them.

I had an apartment with giant double sliding glass doors...and the ugliest {think 70's} orange/brown leaf curtains. So I know how you feel.  Grin To this day I hate the color orange.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Butter Sculpture
Art Inside Toilet Paper Rolls
Ghost Bike
Classic Wrecks: The Rusted Car as Art
Off Book: Book Art in the Digital Era
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...