A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,062
Currently Running With Scissors:
733 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frock Coat prototype  (Read 2132 times)
Tags for this thread: coat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 06, 2014 10:47:01 PM »

A bit of background: sometime in the spring of 2013 I became terribly, blackly depressed. This continued right through the summer and fall, right up to just before xmas this year. I wasn't able to care for my garden, which became a mess of weeds; I cried for no reason to the point of feeling I was going to go insane; nothing was at all happy; I didn't go on Craftster (which was a daily obsession); I was losing weight, and wasn't even really happy about that. And because I felt that way - I couldn't craft anything. For anyone. For any reason. And then, right before xmas, I finally spit it all out in a hugely grotesque outpouring to my best friend. And though it felt shameful and terrible - it freed me from the dark blackness I was in. I pulled xmas out of thin air, making things left right and center, in an effort to make things better for my family.

And then this past weekend, I decided to make something for myself. For the first time in a VERY long time. And this was it. It's a prototype / first draft of the steampunk version of this coat i'll be making for my daughter before March. I give you the 1713 Men's Frock Coat (which Jack Sparrow's coat was based off). I have nothing but respect for seamstresses and tailors of the day - they did all this shit by hand.

So: hanging up in my craft room

the original pattern I printed off the web (for free!! but no instructions - boo!). It took me about three hours to blow the pattern up and trace it onto tissue paper. That was so not a good time.

pattern pieces laid out - material is some old curtains i had hoarded .... i mean SALVAGED from who the heck knows where

See me in the mirror? And how I haven't showered in two days? Or changed out of jammies? The coat was my obsession

Me wearing coat. That gibbledy bit in the back BOTHERS me - but it's a first draft. Halloween costume once i fix it.

This coat doesn't have pockets yet, or buttons down the front and in the tail. 34 buttons!! i managed to find five that matched in my button hoard .... collection. I'm in the process of trying to find some that won't kill me in price.

So - this is more like my Welcome Back to the World project. And i'm happy to be back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

My Wists! www.wists.com/Myrdda
My Pinterest! www.pinterest.com/Myrdda
EmmyS
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014 05:07:41 AM »

Glad to hear that you're getting better and crafting is making you happy once again. Smiley

The coat looks fabulous BTW!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014 05:08:17 AM by EmmyS » THIS ROCKS   Logged
P_E_S_T
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Toes wrapped in wool, fingers wrapped in clay

Hanging out in the woods

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014 06:25:58 AM »

Welcome back, I'm so glad you found your way back x
Those dark places can be very scary yet often turning away from then is even scarier !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/kaydensmumm/

LATEST project - I'm compiling a "handed down" recipes boom and so if I get you in a swap, would you be so kind to find a recipe from your childhood. type it up - if you want to decorate, then please do :

There was a woman who felted
And felted all day long
jennythor
crafty where it counts

crafting and swimming will save the world

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014 06:29:44 AM »

welcome back, i know the feeling and i agree with the above comments.
big hugs and love from here
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love to take part in personal swaps, I would love a poppet of my very own, or a doll like the ones made by Poppets & Lace
dewshinesdopp
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014 07:38:05 AM »

Just adding my pennies and my love!  That jacket is phenomenal!  No worries on the little bubbly bit- that will make an excellent Halloween costume!

You are not alone at all when it comes to depression and the dark places, and how hard it is to dig yourself out of it.  I have had an on-again-off-again relationship with the black-hole-beast since at least 1996. 

I'm pretty sure I am not speaking only for myself when I say we are here for you.  Reach out to someone.  Even if it's only a drawing that says "help, the blackness is back"- someone will come running with a virtual hug.  As a matter of fact, have one now: 

(((HUG)))

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014 08:29:01 AM »

now i wonder why i stayed away from Craftster for so long .......... you guys are so wonderful. Thanks for the hugs! And I'm very grateful that Craftster and her community are always so positive - and inspirational.

My daughter is already harassing me for her coat. Anyone know where I can source about 35 buckles??

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

P_E_S_T
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Toes wrapped in wool, fingers wrapped in clay

Hanging out in the woods

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014 09:49:53 AM »

now i wonder why i stayed away from Craftster for so long .......... you guys are so wonderful. Thanks for the hugs! And I'm very grateful that Craftster and her community are always so positive - and inspirational.

My daughter is already harassing me for her coat. Anyone know where I can source about 35 buckles??

Thrift stores / charity shops - salvage them from old belts ? X
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/kaydensmumm/

LATEST project - I'm compiling a "handed down" recipes boom and so if I get you in a swap, would you be so kind to find a recipe from your childhood. type it up - if you want to decorate, then please do :

There was a woman who felted
And felted all day long
erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014 10:33:18 AM »

That looks great! Do you remember where you found the pattern?
If you're doing steampunk, you could also use buckles instead of buttons. Small ones are pretty cheap when bought in bulk  Smiley

It's great that you are feeling better now! *hug* (if consent)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Myrdda

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014 12:06:33 PM »

http://jacksparrowcostuming.wikispaces.com/file/view/R_36.jpg/149183701/R_36.jpg

this is where I found the pattern Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

Lettersalad
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014 12:49:09 PM »

Hi, have a hug from me, too. Been down there too.

For the buttons: make them period. Cut a small circle out of your fabric, stuff it with something (may even be an old acorn), stitch a thread about 1 cm away from the edge all around, pull thread tight - have an original button.
See here http://www.pinterest.com/gbertholet/medieval-accessories-buttons-cloth/ and here http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/jennifer/buttons/Basicfabricbuttons.htm

Salad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a High Ponytail
How To Get Beach Waves In Simple Steps
Top 5 Tips For Taming Summer Hair
Rita Hazan: How to Cover Gray Hair at Home
Testing the "Air Curler"
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...