A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 304,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Deck of Cards Swap?  (Read 2218 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014 07:33:05 PM »

Thanks for the explanation, dontneedaclassroom, that helps me understand how this would work a lot better.

Okay, now for the confession part... I have not ever done any art on my computer, so I am pretty sure my cards would all be hand-made (unless someone can point the way to easy-to-learn-and-use, free online software?  Huh )  Nor have I ever had anything professionally printed, so I would need someone to help me figure out what I'd be doing there as well (perhaps someone has an online company they can recommend?)

So the moral of the story is, I'm very much interested in participating in this swap, but it sounds like it involves a lot that's outside of my experience set.  If y'all think that won't be a problem, cool, but if someone gently tells me that it would be best for me to sit out this round and watch how it's all done, I promise I won't get my feelings hurt.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014 07:33:55 PM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Yet Another TM Patch Swap R. 3
  • Fall/Character Ninni
  • Christmas Stocking Swap R. 10
  • October ATC (organizer)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
dontneedaclassroom
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014 09:49:49 PM »

vincentvanbuck: You can absolutely participate using handmade art! Just make sure you use the correct proportions to match whatever template we get. A typical poker deck has 2.5x3.5" cards, but the art will need to be a little bigger, probably 2.75x3.75" (or twice that size and then shrink it after scanning, like they do with comic book art). This link does a good job showing how the edges of the art are set up for printing: http://www.printerstudio.com/dl/pc-guide/poker-size.pdf

When you're done with the art, you'll need to scan it at a high resolution and save it as a particular file type. If you don't have a good scanner, your local public library probably does. (Other places like big-box office stores or mail/copy shops will, too, for the right price.) You might need to color-correct or make other minor adjustments, but I'm sure someone could help with that if necessary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014 03:05:55 PM »

Thanks dontneedaclassroom! You said it better than I could have! haha
Everyone is free to join! I think that scanned handmade would be so cool looking, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps, especially ATCs! ( I'm recently addicted)
SilverMoon
Rainbow IS a colour!

Probably erring on the wrong side of crazy

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2014 04:02:53 PM »

Oh man.

I think you need to run this swap a few times, so we can do it all of the ways suggested. (Full deck of one theme/4 artists, one theme per suit, one theme per suit with each number being a constant across the deck: the ninja turtles/season one - that's my favourite way so far) If you had each number a constant across the deck, a collection of 4s, you could use the deck to play Kwartet, which is like Happy Families or Go Fish I think?

Also, I love the idea of sending a digital file, because then we could have as many partners as we wanted, if we were making the same cards for all partners - we could end up with a copy of the cards from every person in the swap, and just pick which ones we want to print. No more "other person's parcel" envy!

Plus, if we are going digital, there is the possibility that if you really like a particular card, you could ask the artist super nicely for a high res file, and then get it printed on to say, a iphone cover, or something like that. A coffee mug perhaps. I love the applications of digital artwork, but you would have to ask nice, and respect copyright in all of that.

But it would cut down on postage costs, which is always a factor for me, being in Australia.

And now I can't make up my mind whether I'd prefer to start digital, or scan handmade - maybe a suit of each, or handmade with digital collage editing... oh the decisions! So excited for this now!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014 04:10:54 PM by SilverMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014 09:07:19 PM »

That's an awesome idea too! Making everything available so if there are multiple sets of partners, you can get both decks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps, especially ATCs! ( I'm recently addicted)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design a Cartoon Boat
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Car
How to Pick Out Drawing Tools
How To Illustrate a Cartoon Palace
How to Sketch a Cartoon King
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...