A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Deck of Cards Swap?  (Read 2133 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014 03:56:36 PM »

I was just imagining four sets of disparate themes, but that's a great idea.

I was too, and I was not liking how that would make my slight OCD feel when it was done. haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps, especially ATCs! ( I'm recently addicted)
honeyd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

warning: do not eat your fortune.

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014 05:52:28 AM »

I was thinking maybe a dark or steampunky circus deck with the hearts being main acts, spades being rides, diamonds being patrons, and clubs being sideshow acts.
Or a Dr. Who theme deck!

Or if we do a 4 person swap and each does a suit, then I'd do my suits literature or fairy tale based maybe ( or of course, steampunk, you can never have too many gears! Wink )
I don't know, I just know that once the swap that I'm organizing is done, this will probably be next.

I would love a Fairy Tale theme suit!  And a Dead Moon Circus one! haha.

I love collage and started thinking about a magazine clipping sparkly stuff deck.  So it would be for the diamond suit and each number could be made of the collage material, scanned in and printed. 

SO many ideas!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014 03:17:28 PM »

Ohhhh, shiny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dontneedaclassroom
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014 03:26:19 PM »

The group theme with sub-themes for each suit sounds awesome! I like the circus. And fairy tales would be fun, with a different fairy tale for each suit - a graphic novel you can play poker with!

Man, I have too many ideas:
- 4 elements, either literal or Avatar:tLA style.
- a deck with no subject theme, just a particular treatment/style - stained glass, art nouveau, art deco, etc.
- a "cabinet of curiosities"
- sonnets (because there are 14 lines in a sonnet but the last pair are a couplet)
- creepy monsters
- Edward Gorey-type illustrations (13 is an unlucky number after all)
- "realistic" interpretations of the suits - real anatomy, real shovels, real weapons, real rocks
- other game pieces (dominos, bingo, mah-jongg, dice... Settlers, Carcassonne...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014 09:19:29 PM »

Great ideas, dontneedaclassroom.  I think Four Elements would be an awesome theme.  I also love the idea of the sonnets!  It makes me think of the Japanese card games played at New Years, where one person reads out the first lines of a classical Japanese poem, and the other players are racing to find the corresponding verse from a stack of cards spread out in front of them.  And since I love games of all types, I like the game pieces theme, too.

Something else that just occurred to me: instead of selecting four themes for suits, make a deck based on foursomes.  The four cards of corresponding value would each comprise part of the foursome, and each value would represent a different foursome.  For example: the four 2's as the Four Elements.  3's = the Four Seasons.  4's = the Four Directions. 5's = Four Ninja Turtles.  And so on...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014 09:20:54 PM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
honeyd

warning: do not eat your fortune.

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014 03:35:42 PM »

Great ideas, dontneedaclassroom.  I think Four Elements would be an awesome theme.  I also love the idea of the sonnets!  It makes me think of the Japanese card games played at New Years, where one person reads out the first lines of a classical Japanese poem, and the other players are racing to find the corresponding verse from a stack of cards spread out in front of them.  And since I love games of all types, I like the game pieces theme, too.

Something else that just occurred to me: instead of selecting four themes for suits, make a deck based on foursomes.  The four cards of corresponding value would each comprise part of the foursome, and each value would represent a different foursome.  For example: the four 2's as the Four Elements.  3's = the Four Seasons.  4's = the Four Directions. 5's = Four Ninja Turtles.  And so on...

MIND BLOWN!  (sorry for caps, but seriously!) I really like this idea.  I mean, I love the theme idea in general but I think this opens it up to not getting bored with one theme.  If we did groups of four (or however many it needs to be a round robin) and could all agree upon definitive ideas for each set (meaning 4s, 5s, etc) we could each have a suit that we pick a major theme and create a card that corresponds in the set. 

Example:
My suit is diamonds (shiny! Wink ) for my 2 of diamonds I'd find a way to illustrate one of the four elements.  (or show all four).  My style would be consistent from card to card so whoever gets my diamond decks will have a "look" for the suit.  Am I making sense??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitkat_pro

Mender for the destroyer of worlds

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014 10:24:23 AM »

OOhh I love the idea of this swap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists/Pinterest
Out of the dusk a shadow, Then a spark; Out of the cloud a silence, Then a lark; Out of the heart a rapture, Then a pain; Out of the dead, cold ashes, Life again. ~ John Banister Tabb
My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014 08:04:42 PM »

I like the Fairy Tale where each suit is one fairy tale and the 4's idea too! How is everyone feeling about timing? Depending on how many people sign up, there could be a couple groups...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dontneedaclassroom
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014 02:25:23 PM »

I like the fairy tale suits idea a lot, even if it overlaps with the fairy tale swap. Smiley As long as we have a nice long time to do the artwork, any start date is fine with me.

Now just to be clear, this is my understanding of the plan:

- we find a printer who prints custom cards, and choose a template from that printer
- each person designs one suit of a deck according to the template, making print-quality digital files (if the artwork is hand-made, appropriate print-quality scanning is required)
- we each send our digital files to our three partners
- then each person can order one or more decks through the vendor as they like.

Correct?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014 07:59:38 PM »

That is what I think will work the best. The other thing that I was thinking is if we should print them ourselves and actually mail them. Or if everyone is ok with printing their own, then that will work too. Thoughts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Lens Bluring in Photoshop
How to Make the Subject Pop-Out in Photoshop
How to Draw Arrows in Illustrator
How to Use Live Trace and Live Paint in Illustrator
How to Create an Image Reflection in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...