A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Deck of Cards Swap?  (Read 2124 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 05, 2014 06:51:16 PM »

I've always loved strange card decks. My husband got me one for Christmas this year and I've been itching to create a deck myself now...I know I did a tarot swap a while back where each person claimed certain cards of the major arcana and crafted them based on their partner's theme. The idea was to end up with one full set. I think it would be pretty awesome to craft a playing card deck based on a partner's theme. But this one would maybe be a full deck done by one person? I'm thinking they could send the deck or a printable file of it for their partner, perhaps? Any interest? This is feeding my graphic and packaging design itch here I think!

Here's the deck he got me. http://shop.dananddave.com/ultimate-deck.html It's a little hard to play with (poker, at least) because the illustrations are sometimes so intricate that the card number a suit is lost. But that's ok, because they are still gorgeous. Smiley I'm not one for framing uncut sheets, but this might be one that I'd think about.

Any interest? The craft time would definitely be pretty long for this one. I'm thinking this would appeal most to computer artists and illustrators, but I could see some awesome ones that are photos of things too!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps, especially ATCs! ( I'm recently addicted)
My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014 06:58:28 PM »

I suppose another way to do it is to each take a suit and each deck will have 4 designers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoopidou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014 10:34:29 AM »

You might be interested in this company that can print a fully customized card deck of your creation.

http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/playing-cards/playing-cards-54-designs-313
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeyd

warning: do not eat your fortune.

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014 04:19:30 PM »

I really like this idea!  I'm decently obsessed with playing cards.  I took a class over the summer and had to design a deck of cards and I really enjoyed it.

Hopefully this can get off the ground Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014 04:44:41 PM »

Woo!
Did you have to print them for class?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeyd

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014 04:52:12 PM »

Yep!  I printed and cut only 16 but designed the whole deck.  I made the box and instructions too.  it was a ton of fun!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014 10:40:07 PM »

Cool! Did you use a print service like Office Max or something, or did you do it yourself?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeyd

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014 12:28:41 PM »

I'm sorry I thought I had replied to you! haha

I did it all myself.  I'm a graphic designer so I have a nice epson and the tools to cut everything I needed to Smiley  It was fun and stressful at the same time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dontneedaclassroom
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014 02:16:48 PM »

This sounds awesome! I like the idea of doing one suit each in a 4-person group.  One would be a little more manageable for me timewise, lol. A whole deck? I'd be here til June. Grin People who want to do more could sign up for more groups maybe?

Just sitting here I thought of about ten theme decks I'd love to be part of, but it would be fun to have a "wild" deck too.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014 02:19:57 PM by dontneedaclassroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeyd

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014 09:17:27 AM »

I think that would work really well, Dontneedaclassroom!

How do we get more people interested? haha.  There are artist trading card swaps all the time, wouldn't this be a similar thing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014 11:31:03 PM »

It'd basically be an ATC set swap, right? Set of Ace through King in your partner's choice of theme.
I just got the coolest Dr. Who Ace from a personal swap with ChemeleonHound and I'm hoping we can get some more people interested!

We could do teams and say one person does all the heart suits, etc, but then you'd end up making at least one suit of your own cards...hmm.
I did the tarot card on and it was like an ongoing swap, but there's only 13 cards in the major arcana, so that worked as an ongoing...
We could do rotating partners and do suits by rounds, have 4 rounds and then you'd have a different partner each round?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dontneedaclassroom
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014 09:41:19 AM »

To get more people in, maybe play up the first point you brought up - it's like an ATC swap, but it's computer-friendly, which ATCs really aren't. In fact, one deck could have both computer and analog-scanned art in it, so people who usually wouldn't be in the same swap can get in on this together. Smiley I love yoopidou's suggestion of picking a print service, so everyone can use a template and all the work will be compatible.

I don't have the attention span to commit to four rounds of the same swap, lol. I hope you decide to go the one-round team idea. Getting a copy of the suit I design is part of the draw for me - I like the idea of everyone in the team ending up with the same deck.

If enough people don't like having their own suit in their deck, you could do a second swap, where partners fill in each other's spaces. Like if you did hearts in your team's movie monsters deck, in the second round someone would do a movie monsters heart suit for you and you'd do whatever they needed. That way nobody has to do more than 2 suits to get a complete deck of other people's work, but anybody lazy like me can do just 1 suit and still have an awesome deck. Smiley What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014 12:26:24 PM »

That sounds pretty sensible, dontneedaclassroom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014 08:59:28 PM »

I am definitely intrigued by this swap.  It seems like there are a few more details to work out (and participants to be found), but I'm keeping my eye on this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014 03:53:41 PM »

Please do, vincentvanbuck! We will hopefully get this off the ground in the month or so! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014 03:03:19 PM »

I keep having ideas for themes for suits. Smiley We need more interest so I can get my card crafting on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dontneedaclassroom
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014 01:49:35 PM »

I have a ton of ideas too! Smiley Maybe post in some of the other boards asking for volunteers?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014 01:50:02 PM by dontneedaclassroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014 04:36:05 PM »

I keep having ideas for themes for suits. Smiley We need more interest so I can get my card crafting on!

What are some of the ideas you have for suits?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:

My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014 09:25:54 AM »

I was thinking maybe a dark or steampunky circus deck with the hearts being main acts, spades being rides, diamonds being patrons, and clubs being sideshow acts.
Or a Dr. Who theme deck!

Or if we do a 4 person swap and each does a suit, then I'd do my suits literature or fairy tale based maybe ( or of course, steampunk, you can never have too many gears! Wink )
I don't know, I just know that once the swap that I'm organizing is done, this will probably be next.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014 01:28:32 PM »

I was thinking maybe a dark or steampunky circus deck with the hearts being main acts, spades being rides, diamonds being patrons, and clubs being sideshow acts.

Oooh I like that.  Immediately it made me think of the Dead Moon Circus from the fourth series of Sailor Moon, heheh.  But anyways, the idea of one big overall theme for the whole deck, with four sub-themes (main acts, rides, etc.) for each suit, hadn't occurred to me.  I was just imagining four sets of disparate themes, but that's a great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:

My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014 03:56:36 PM »

I was just imagining four sets of disparate themes, but that's a great idea.

I was too, and I was not liking how that would make my slight OCD feel when it was done. haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeyd

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014 05:52:28 AM »

Or a Dr. Who theme deck!

Or if we do a 4 person swap and each does a suit, then I'd do my suits literature or fairy tale based maybe ( or of course, steampunk, you can never have too many gears! Wink )
I don't know, I just know that once the swap that I'm organizing is done, this will probably be next.

I would love a Fairy Tale theme suit!  And a Dead Moon Circus one! haha.

I love collage and started thinking about a magazine clipping sparkly stuff deck.  So it would be for the diamond suit and each number could be made of the collage material, scanned in and printed. 

SO many ideas!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014 03:17:28 PM »

Ohhhh, shiny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dontneedaclassroom
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014 03:26:19 PM »

The group theme with sub-themes for each suit sounds awesome! I like the circus. And fairy tales would be fun, with a different fairy tale for each suit - a graphic novel you can play poker with!

Man, I have too many ideas:
- 4 elements, either literal or Avatar:tLA style.
- a deck with no subject theme, just a particular treatment/style - stained glass, art nouveau, art deco, etc.
- a "cabinet of curiosities"
- sonnets (because there are 14 lines in a sonnet but the last pair are a couplet)
- creepy monsters
- Edward Gorey-type illustrations (13 is an unlucky number after all)
- "realistic" interpretations of the suits - real anatomy, real shovels, real weapons, real rocks
- other game pieces (dominos, bingo, mah-jongg, dice... Settlers, Carcassonne...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014 09:19:29 PM »

Great ideas, dontneedaclassroom.  I think Four Elements would be an awesome theme.  I also love the idea of the sonnets!  It makes me think of the Japanese card games played at New Years, where one person reads out the first lines of a classical Japanese poem, and the other players are racing to find the corresponding verse from a stack of cards spread out in front of them.  And since I love games of all types, I like the game pieces theme, too.

Something else that just occurred to me: instead of selecting four themes for suits, make a deck based on foursomes.  The four cards of corresponding value would each comprise part of the foursome, and each value would represent a different foursome.  For example: the four 2's as the Four Elements.  3's = the Four Seasons.  4's = the Four Directions. 5's = Four Ninja Turtles.  And so on...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014 09:20:54 PM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:

honeyd

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014 03:35:42 PM »

Great ideas, dontneedaclassroom.  I think Four Elements would be an awesome theme.  I also love the idea of the sonnets!  It makes me think of the Japanese card games played at New Years, where one person reads out the first lines of a classical Japanese poem, and the other players are racing to find the corresponding verse from a stack of cards spread out in front of them.  And since I love games of all types, I like the game pieces theme, too.

Something else that just occurred to me: instead of selecting four themes for suits, make a deck based on foursomes.  The four cards of corresponding value would each comprise part of the foursome, and each value would represent a different foursome.  For example: the four 2's as the Four Elements.  3's = the Four Seasons.  4's = the Four Directions. 5's = Four Ninja Turtles.  And so on...

MIND BLOWN!  (sorry for caps, but seriously!) I really like this idea.  I mean, I love the theme idea in general but I think this opens it up to not getting bored with one theme.  If we did groups of four (or however many it needs to be a round robin) and could all agree upon definitive ideas for each set (meaning 4s, 5s, etc) we could each have a suit that we pick a major theme and create a card that corresponds in the set. 

Example:
My suit is diamonds (shiny! Wink ) for my 2 of diamonds I'd find a way to illustrate one of the four elements.  (or show all four).  My style would be consistent from card to card so whoever gets my diamond decks will have a "look" for the suit.  Am I making sense??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitkat_pro

Mender for the destroyer of worlds

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014 10:24:23 AM »

OOhh I love the idea of this swap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists/Pinterest
Out of the dusk a shadow, Then a spark; Out of the cloud a silence, Then a lark; Out of the heart a rapture, Then a pain; Out of the dead, cold ashes, Life again. ~ John Banister Tabb
My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014 08:04:42 PM »

I like the Fairy Tale where each suit is one fairy tale and the 4's idea too! How is everyone feeling about timing? Depending on how many people sign up, there could be a couple groups...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dontneedaclassroom
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014 02:25:23 PM »

I like the fairy tale suits idea a lot, even if it overlaps with the fairy tale swap. Smiley As long as we have a nice long time to do the artwork, any start date is fine with me.

Now just to be clear, this is my understanding of the plan:

- we find a printer who prints custom cards, and choose a template from that printer
- each person designs one suit of a deck according to the template, making print-quality digital files (if the artwork is hand-made, appropriate print-quality scanning is required)
- we each send our digital files to our three partners
- then each person can order one or more decks through the vendor as they like.

Correct?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014 07:59:38 PM »

That is what I think will work the best. The other thing that I was thinking is if we should print them ourselves and actually mail them. Or if everyone is ok with printing their own, then that will work too. Thoughts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014 07:33:05 PM »

Thanks for the explanation, dontneedaclassroom, that helps me understand how this would work a lot better.

Okay, now for the confession part... I have not ever done any art on my computer, so I am pretty sure my cards would all be hand-made (unless someone can point the way to easy-to-learn-and-use, free online software?  Huh )  Nor have I ever had anything professionally printed, so I would need someone to help me figure out what I'd be doing there as well (perhaps someone has an online company they can recommend?)

So the moral of the story is, I'm very much interested in participating in this swap, but it sounds like it involves a lot that's outside of my experience set.  If y'all think that won't be a problem, cool, but if someone gently tells me that it would be best for me to sit out this round and watch how it's all done, I promise I won't get my feelings hurt.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014 07:33:55 PM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:

dontneedaclassroom
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014 09:49:49 PM »

vincentvanbuck: You can absolutely participate using handmade art! Just make sure you use the correct proportions to match whatever template we get. A typical poker deck has 2.5x3.5" cards, but the art will need to be a little bigger, probably 2.75x3.75" (or twice that size and then shrink it after scanning, like they do with comic book art). This link does a good job showing how the edges of the art are set up for printing: http://www.printerstudio.com/dl/pc-guide/poker-size.pdf

When you're done with the art, you'll need to scan it at a high resolution and save it as a particular file type. If you don't have a good scanner, your local public library probably does. (Other places like big-box office stores or mail/copy shops will, too, for the right price.) You might need to color-correct or make other minor adjustments, but I'm sure someone could help with that if necessary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014 03:05:55 PM »

Thanks dontneedaclassroom! You said it better than I could have! haha
Everyone is free to join! I think that scanned handmade would be so cool looking, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SilverMoon

Rainbow IS a colour!

Probably erring on the wrong side of crazy

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2014 04:02:53 PM »

Oh man.

I think you need to run this swap a few times, so we can do it all of the ways suggested. (Full deck of one theme/4 artists, one theme per suit, one theme per suit with each number being a constant across the deck: the ninja turtles/season one - that's my favourite way so far) If you had each number a constant across the deck, a collection of 4s, you could use the deck to play Kwartet, which is like Happy Families or Go Fish I think?

Also, I love the idea of sending a digital file, because then we could have as many partners as we wanted, if we were making the same cards for all partners - we could end up with a copy of the cards from every person in the swap, and just pick which ones we want to print. No more "other person's parcel" envy!

Plus, if we are going digital, there is the possibility that if you really like a particular card, you could ask the artist super nicely for a high res file, and then get it printed on to say, a iphone cover, or something like that. A coffee mug perhaps. I love the applications of digital artwork, but you would have to ask nice, and respect copyright in all of that.

But it would cut down on postage costs, which is always a factor for me, being in Australia.

And now I can't make up my mind whether I'd prefer to start digital, or scan handmade - maybe a suit of each, or handmade with digital collage editing... oh the decisions! So excited for this now!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014 04:10:54 PM by SilverMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My_RubySlippers
Dabbler Of Everything

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014 09:07:19 PM »

That's an awesome idea too! Making everything available so if there are multiple sets of partners, you can get both decks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fish Prints with Ray Bliss Rich
How to Create a Hanging Jewelry Organizer
How to Make Colored Corn Jewelry
How to Create a Study Board for Homework
How to Create a Scrapbook for Vacation Photos
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...