A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheapening  (Read 460 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CatyX
« on: July 11, 2005 12:10:09 PM »

Is that a word? Well my problem is I am thinking of starting to sell my jewelry except I don;'t think anybody round here is prepared to pay enough even to cover the cost of the materials let alone leave me with a profit, so I was wondering if anybody has any tips for ddoing things more cheaply?

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LRS
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005 12:16:35 PM »

The answer isn't to make it cheaper.  It's to find the people who will pay more.  And to make your products worth more.  Sometimes you can increase the value by packaging it like the expensive stuff.  Make up cards for earrings or put other thing in boxes.  Show them on velvet lined trays or something "upmarket." 

And the cost of materials is only the bottom line.  Your creativity and time are the important things.  You need to be paid for that.  Look at the best shops in your area - I'll bet they're getting decent prices for jewelry. 

That said, if you can find a way to lower your costs, you will be more profitable.  But those savings should go into your pocket, not into lowering the prices.

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy. com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.co m
CatyX
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005 12:25:36 PM »

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funkyjunkie
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005 09:34:04 PM »

LRS is right. Pricing and getting paid what you're worth is a tough one. It's also a mistake to undercut yourself and not get paid for your time, your creativity, your jewelry and the appeal.

Figure out a price range and find the market that will pay that. You'll have to do your research to figure out the whens & wheres.

Oh, and if you haven't already, get your resale/tax license so you can buy at discounted and more wholesale prices.

I've been selling for a year and have done it all backwards. Plus, I didn't do my research and just have expected things to "work out." Not the case because here I am having to start from the beginning.

Head over to www.theswitchboards .com/forum for more business advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funky junkie ~ addictively good handcrafted jewelry ~ www.funkyjunkie.biz ~ the blog @ www.funkyjunkie.biz/blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
6 Skin Beauty Tips For Summer
Top Picks For Liquid Eyeliner
What to Expect at a Skin Cancer Screening
Must Try Beauty Trend: Nail Stickers, Wraps And Polish Strips
Hpnotizing Eyes: Smoky Metallic Ombre
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...