I can't believe I'm saying this, but I fixed it!
I spent some MORE time googling and read that the wiring inside the foot petal can get undone over time, and that it's an easy fix - so I tried that - I opened it up but it looked fine, so I crossed that off my list.
Next I read about how if you buy a vintage machine that has electrical tape around the wires, that obviously tells you the previous owner had re-wired it and that it's safe to assume their handy work will not last forever so you should just replace the wiring right off the bat.
Mine did have electrical tape where it was connected to the power source.
I was afraid of unscrewing anything (novice, remember?) but I grew some balls and unscrewed the motor and the plate covering the power source and went ahead and carefully unpeeled the electrical tape.....
....and bam! The wire was totally disconnected under there!
I had my bf help me by soldering it back together and it WORKS NOW!
I found it hard to believe considering it had just been sitting in a box in storage, but take if from me, the wiring can totally come undone at unexpected times.
Sooo, if any future Craftster has a vintage machine that all of a sudden stops working, check the wiring!
Thanks for your help gals!!!