A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage Singer won't turn on anymore!  (Read 930 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Maliaka
« on: January 04, 2014 05:29:50 PM »

I have an electric Singer 66 made in 1948 that I used only a couple times before it had to endure over a year in a box in storage (*cry*).

I took it home recently to find that when I plug it in....nothing happens. It won't sew. The motor doesn't turn on and the foot pedal doesn't work.

I admittedly know very little about the complexities of the machinery itself so I'm asking you guys for some help here! What could be the problem? Is it bad wiring or something? The machine looks just as great as it did when I bought it. I had it carefully packed in a box and it was not moved around or dropped while in storage or anything like that.

I see the motors and foot pedal combos selling on Ebay for under 40 bucks, should I try replacing it myself? Advice please! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Winter Lights Clothing ~
http://www.winterlights.etsy.com
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014 06:20:18 PM »

In a search I cannot find anything specific to this model.

You may have done these things already but my suggestions would be:
*check all connections are secure
*make sure nothing is loose in the machine itself
*does it work when you manually spin the wheel?

If you feel it is worth the $40.00 I would go ahead. If that does not work take it to a shop for repair, but ask them not to work on it till they give you the amount?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maliaka
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014 06:30:58 PM »

Thanks for your reply!

Connections appear secure, no damage to the cords, nothing is loose, and the wheel DOES turn with ease.

I've tried Googling this repeatedly and can't seem to get any closer.

The machine worked awesome when I bought it. This is literally my first time experiencing a problem with any machine, so I'm rather bummed out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014 06:37:58 PM »

Do you have the manual? Try to do some regular maintenance items and see if it will behave. These older machines can be stubborn.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maliaka
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014 06:44:55 PM »

I have the manual downloaded to my computer, but it doesn't provide much info and definitely doesn't say anything about the motor unfortunately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014 03:49:51 AM »

Sometimes repair shops will share info for free. If you have a local shop stop by and mention your issue. See if they will offer free advice of any kind.

Also, do you have any way to check the the electric cords for the machine? Volt meter? This would tell you if the cord is bad and not pushing power.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amcatanzaro
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014 02:22:33 PM »

I have a 66 and may or may not be able help. Smiley

Can you take a picture of the plug area on the machine? I have to assume there is a motor on the back right of the machine. And a new foot controller might be in order. I'm pretty sure a new one can be purchased for about $20.

The silly thing that could be wrong is the light bulb is unplugged/needs to be replaced. Joann's sells replacement bulbs (usually).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014 02:22:30 AM »

It sounds electrical, rather than the motor.  Can the cord be replaced without replacing the motor?

My 1970s mixmaster did pretty much the same thing, and it was just that the cord was old.  There were no visible breaks, but somewhere inside was a gap between the wires.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014 11:19:42 PM »

Does it have an on/off switch?
If so, I wonder if the toggle finally gave up the ghost.  They can just give up the ghost like that. 
Can you open it up, or are you comfortable enough to open it and plug it in, so you can test to see if power is going to the actual motor with a ticktestor?  If not, is there a local sewing repair shop that can give you a cheepie or free look over and opinion?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Maliaka
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014 08:55:41 PM »

I have a 66 and may or may not be able help. Smiley

Can you take a picture of the plug area on the machine? I have to assume there is a motor on the back right of the machine. And a new foot controller might be in order. I'm pretty sure a new one can be purchased for about $20.

The silly thing that could be wrong is the light bulb is unplugged/needs to be replaced. Joann's sells replacement bulbs (usually).
Sorry late reply! Actually the light bulb turns on fine which is good. Yep, the motor is on the back right side.
 I'll try to take a picture tonight, but I will say that whomever had this machine previously must have rewired it and put electrical tape around the cords for the motor/foot petal at the beginning where they go into the machine. I wish I could just eye ball it to detect any problems with it, but my novice eyes don't know exactly what to look for. I mean, the cords have no exposed areas and they seem to be connected to the machine properly. But I will take a picture!

It sounds electrical, rather than the motor.  Can the cord be replaced without replacing the motor?

My 1970s mixmaster did pretty much the same thing, and it was just that the cord was old.  There were no visible breaks, but somewhere inside was a gap between the wires.

Interesting about the wires being separated....see, I know nothing about wiring but this tells me that could possibly be what's wrong with mine. There are no breaks/exposes areas on my cords but who knows what's going on inside...

Does it have an on/off switch?
If so, I wonder if the toggle finally gave up the ghost.  They can just give up the ghost like that. 
Can you open it up, or are you comfortable enough to open it and plug it in, so you can test to see if power is going to the actual motor with a ticktestor?  If not, is there a local sewing repair shop that can give you a cheepie or free look over and opinion?
Funny enough when I pulled this out of storage I kept trying to look for the on/off switch...embarassing! lol...I had forgotten the old machines don't have one. You just plug it in and push on the foot petal and it's supposed to hum away...which mine does not lol.

I'm novice enough to not know what a ticktester is, lol. Should I get one and try it? I suppose I will need to call around and ask who'd be willing to look it over without charging...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hottest Kid Trends of the Season
Top 5 Fashionable Winter Looks for Kids
KIds Products and Innovation News
Four Fall Fashions For Kids
Back-to-School Fashions Look Like 80s Flashback
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...