A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making wedding invitations for someone else or would you?  (Read 339 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chuckiegirl
« on: January 02, 2014 10:41:36 AM »

One of the ladies I work with has a daughter getting married in November. Her mom was talking to her on the phone and mentioned I have a Cricut and like to make cards and such. To which her daughter promptly asked her: Will she make my wedding invitations? I, in turn, promptly said NO WAY!!! I really have a hard time making stuff for others when its a specific request. I love to paper craft and want to do it to my taste or my way keeping the receiver in mind. But then I started to think about the fact that I love to paper craft and I like my coworker's daughter. So I asked how many she was thinking about sending and was told about 125...So my question is this: Would you consider making the invitations? And what would you charge for something like that? Because there is no way I could afford the paper cost to make that many invites for a gift. The most I have ever done was 25 for my baby sister's baby shower!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeyd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

warning: do not eat your fortune.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014 07:35:58 AM »

I've done it!  I made 75 wedding invitations with my silhouette for a friend this past summer.  I did it as a gift to them and I think the final cost of materials only was about $300.  Then factor in the work (two nights of 4 hours feeding paper, peeling it off the mat, and folding.  One evening of two hours gluing and assembly.  So 10 hours total?) at only $10 an hour (which is WAY lower than I'd charge) it's $400.  I know the cricut is more labor intensive than the silhouette so I think you need to charge at least $15 for the hours working with that.  And this isn't even counting whatever you'd charge as a "design" fee.

I really enjoy making them for friends and family, but I would have to think REALLY hard if I was asked by someone not in my inner circle.  I think a fair price to start is to quote her $500 as a base price for JUST the invites and build from there.  It seems steep, but it's pretty competitive when she starts shopping around and sees that mass produced pieces are over that price and hers would be handmade... 

Think long and hard before you commit!  And good luck if you decide to do it!  I'd love to see!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rustyy85
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014 05:09:09 AM »

i would charge her enough to cover supplies, typically from what ive researched is an invite can cost between $3-$8 depending on how many supplies are being used. One site wanted $10 for 5 invites, another wanted $10 for 8 invites. IM making my own and so far i`ll have about $20 into 100 invites, stamps will be an extra $50. OR tell her to cover the cost for supplies and maybe tack on an extra $20 for labor. Also I dont know anything about these machines you both mentioned.. I do all my crafts with my fingers Smiley
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014 05:11:20 AM by Rustyy85 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Palette Knife
What Is Acrylic Paint?
How to Prepare Your Canvas for Acrylic Painting
How to Choose Paintbrushes for Acrylic Painting
Supplies You Need to Get Started with Acrylic Paint
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...