A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,592
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 70
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Art journaling and altered journaling along - ongoing - 2014 until ???  (Read 57996 times)
Tags for this thread: art_journal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cmarion3
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: March 08, 2014 06:37:06 PM »

Stillatthetop. If you prep the magazine covers with matte gel you should be able to paint over them. And of course there are collages or "painting" with the colors in the photo, using small torn pieces of the photos to paint a picture with the bits. Sort of a pointalist or mosaic picture. I always have a hard time using fantastic pages, once used they are gone and if I don't like the results...well. But then I guess you could use the less wonderful ones in future collages. Layers! and more layers!

I've been doing a few small pages in my mini journal and also starting on pages for a bit larger one using some gel prints. I also have a cheapie journal I travel with and I only use a black pen for this as I like to travel light. I had several train trips into the city, 2 hours each way, and sketching fills the time, but it's a bit rough with bumps and jogs so it makes it interesting.

Enjoy. Mini journal first:

New art journal pages:

Junk Journal or Train Journal:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
stillatthetop
T
« Reply #521 on: March 08, 2014 07:09:09 PM »

I love your pages...especially the zentangle one! But also the mix of colors on the other pages. I will have to check if I have matte gel. Or go to get some. I have Crystal Clear Glaze...would that work the same? Whooops. Yup. I have the gel.

Yup. I bomb pages and recraft them into other things, too. I do mine in altered books, so missing pages are not a burden {I rip them out}...they can be a godsend. Then I have more room for other layers and 3-D arts. And paste the rejects back in for something else later, maybe.

Your ideas are very inspirational. I love your crazy letter styles. It really gives movement to the pages. Your self-portrait page is really interesting. I can't read all that it says...but it has color and movement...and really looks fun!

And I think you cheated and used a fortune cookie paper on the next one  Cheesy
I use those often, too. I save a whole baggie of those! Nom, nom. Love that food.

And, har har smaarrttteeeey pants. Check my pinterest on my 'made by me'. You will find that I combine all kinds of mag photos like you have shared. I love cutting things to bits. And glueing things together. I will have to check and try your stencil technique. That sounds interesting. Thanks!

Thanks to all for giving me ideas. I really need to get back to my journals.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" fabric scraps for an iSpy quilt similar to this
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: March 09, 2014 07:04:26 AM »

stillatthetop "Your ideas are very inspirational. I love your crazy letter styles. It really gives movement to the pages. Your self-portrait page is really interesting. I can't read all that it says...but it has color and movement...and really looks fun!"

It reads "Self-portraits are hard! do any of us know ourselves?"

I've be working on lettering styles and adding words to my pages. I tend to avoid words and phrases, so I've been making myself do them. As to portraits...that's the next big step. I can cartoon a bit. But my people always look a bit un-human when I try to do a realistic or even unrealistic portrait. I know the mechanics of feature placement, have taken life drawing courses and still....something is missing. So more practice. I envy those that can draw faces and they look whimsical (not deranged) or wonderful (not deformed). Ah, the road to perfect is so long. I need to go back and read my words on self criticism.

Zentangles are fun, but I get bored with them. They do loosen me up though. A fun way to explore texture and patterns. I would rather create something more meaningful.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
yoopidou
« Reply #523 on: March 10, 2014 12:29:54 AM »

Cmariom, I find your self portrait enchanting. I agree  with "Self-portraits are hard! do any of us know ourselves?"
In so many great pages, your train journal is definitively my favorite, followed by the new art journal pages. There's something in the colors that is fascinating.

Abbeeroad, what a great idea to put a bird in the lady's hair!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #524 on: March 10, 2014 06:16:25 AM »

Your pages show a variety of style and techniques...and they appear very spontaneous...I especially like how you reflect and express your everyday life...coffee, the commute...dreaming of spring...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teag
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #525 on: March 11, 2014 04:26:17 PM »

here's my DLP week 11 challenge: Draw, photograph or collage a bird onto your page. my cat Autumn was my model

THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #526 on: March 11, 2014 05:28:42 PM »

That is so outrageously wonderful! teag...you need to illustrate a children's book, or something. Your lettering, the shading, the eyes. And silly little birdies? You could also illustrate the edges of an adult journal/diary {empty to be filled} book, too. I am rocking this one!

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" fabric scraps for an iSpy quilt similar to this
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Renstar
« Reply #527 on: March 13, 2014 04:15:52 PM »

Another butterfly from me.

I know they are all the same theme, but I am practising new skills.

(I have a dragon, but it will have to wait until it goes to the recipient)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

« Reply #528 on: March 13, 2014 05:29:34 PM »

My current projects are too time-consuming to allow me to work on any journal pages, but I love seeing what others are doing!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds

http://ernestthesiger.org
yoopidou
« Reply #529 on: March 13, 2014 10:54:42 PM »

My current projects are too time-consuming to allow me to work on any journal pages, but I love seeing what others are doing!   Smiley
Same for me. Following the roof repairs, I started cleaning everything, and then, I decided to reorganize and get rid of rarely used stuff. This is taking way more time than planned.

Teag, your cat is extremely cute. What a lovely page!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014 10:55:48 PM by yoopidou » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 70 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Crispy Lemongrass Squid With Red Thai Curry Mayonnaise
Breakfast Egg Roll Recipe
How to Make Pork Buns the Chester Way
Miso Soup 101: Benefits and Recipes
How to Make Tender Steamed Fish With Sriracha and Coriander Dressing
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...